Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
Ok so it looks like the international law relating to this case comes from the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness which is not a peremptory law (the kind that all countries have to respect regardless of whether they've signed up to it or not) but we ratified the convention in 1966 so we are bound by it.

The part of the convention that regulates revocation of nationality is article 8.

8.1 says that 'a state shall not deprive a person of his nationality if such deprivation would render him stateless'.

8.2 says that notwithstanding clause 8.1a country can revoke nationality if it was obtained by fraud.

8.3 says that notwithstanding clause 8.1 a country can retain certain rights to revoke nationality in certain situations, which is lists, but the country has to declare it is retaining these rights when it ratifies the treaty.

On ratification the UK retained the right to deprive a naturalised person of his nationality if the person 'has conducted himself in a manner seriously prejudicial to the ***** interests of her Britannic Majesty '.

So I suppose it depends whether she is naturalised and whether she ends up getting Bangladeshi citizenship as to whether it's legal.

The treaty is quite interesting though, you can find the original text on the UN website.

I'll try and find a YouTube version for Tricky too 😉

Yeah I read that last night, that’s why I knew it was illegal to take her UK citizenship off her. Bangladesh say she’s no citizen of theirs so Javid, at the stroke of his pen, has rendered her stateless, a very serious situation, on the basis of
what? She hasn’t been convicted, or even tried of any crimes. We have no idea of the evidence against her.

I really would like to live in a country that abides by international law, rather than the rule of the lynch mob.