I do not have many happy memories of our games against Newcastle. Chief culprit amongst these was the FA Cup semifinal defeat in 1974 at Hillsborough. Do not mention Malcolm McDonald to me. And don’t mention Alan Shearer who played for both Blackburn Rovers and Newcastle. On the other hand I have many fond memories of Geoff Nulty who played with distinction for both Burnley and Newcastle and latterly Everton. I did not know Geoff’s career was cut short by a serious injury in the Merseyside derby at the age of just 31. Geoff you were one of the heroes of my youth.

The significance of this Sunday’s game for the two clubs cannot be underestimated. Burnley come into the game having thrown away a 2-0 lead against Southampton while Newcastle picked up a useful point with a late equaliser against Spurs. Burnley have a current 4 point advantage over the Magpies and will want to maintain or increase that lead. Wolves late winner at Fulham keeps Newcastle three points ahead of their relegation rivals and crucially Fulham have now played two games than the other teams at the bottom of the table. Newcastle will travel to Turf Moor knowing a win will give them every chance of securing their Premier League status. The Magpies will be without captain Jamaal Lascelles who picked up an injury in their drawn game with Spurs but will be boosted by the return of leading scorer Callum Wilson. For the Clarets Ashley Barnes and Robbie Brady miss out but Pieters and Bardsley should be available for selection. Will Sean be tempted to deploy Pieters in midfield?

The referee for Sunday’s early kick off is Anthony Taylor from Wythenshawe, Manchester. Taylor has refereed two FA Cup Finals (the 2017 and 2020 finals) and will have Stuart Attwell on VAR.

All that remains is to hope Newcastle return home with no points. COYC!