Okay...nothing whatsoever to do with DCFC or football but one for the accountants...maybe.

Last summer I had two tickets for a comparatively big gig priced at around £70 each.
The event was cancelled owing to Covid and I eventually got about £125 back...the face value of the two tickets without the annoyingly mysterious ‘booking fee’.
So far that seems about ‘par for the course’...annoying but live with it.
On top of that however I’d paid a relatively small fee...about £2.40 per ticket...for ticket protection, i.e. if because of illness, accident, car breakdown etc I/we couldn’t make it we’d be reimbursed.
That ticket protection money was never refunded and it’s a paltry individual amount so most people won’t bother but I got to thinking...the gig was part of a nationwide tour that took in about twelve venues with capacities of between 1-2,000.
In other words there were potential ticket sales of around 18,000 and if even half of those tickets bought included ‘protection’ at £2.40 per ticket that’s around £21,600 profit for doing absolutely nothing.
Now all those involved in the ticket/protection sale say that that such sales are non refundable, which obviously they are in normal circumstances, but my argument is...if the event doesn’t actually take place how can you possibly charge people for protection against them being unable to attend?
£2.40, or £4.80 in this instance, is too small an amount to get worked up about, but given the bigger picture what do others think...both legally and morally?