Well some of us do with a passion but some others see that such misplaced emotion is a sign of an inferiority complex.
A true story.
As a 9 year old on holiday in the 1950's I was on holiday with my Forest-supporting cousin at Ingoldmells and we were kicking a ball to each other on the beach when two guys appeared from the sand hills and asked if they could join in. I started to place one of the guys.
'Are you Ron Wylie?' I asked him. He nodded and I told him I was a Notts supporter. (We were supporters not fans in those days).
The other chap said 'And do you know who I am?' Cousin Paul answered 'You're Jack Burkitt' (The then captain of Forest).
They stayed with us for about an hour and we were both shocked that their families were on holiday together. Surely, I reasoned, Ron Wylie would be on holiday with Gordon Wills, his left-wing partner. But no. Here came the realisation that players from rival teams could be mates. It was a lesson learned and since then I've always wished Forest well.
Can't Notts supporters see that the better Forest do, the more we stand to gain - in loan players, the boosting of the city, increasing the numbers who support both teams.
Or is it just an act? Do we have to pretend 'I really hate Forest' simply to sound hard. Let's not forget that Forest did their share of supporting us when our future looked 50 shades of grim. Having said all that, of course if we met them in the cup or one distant day in the league, there's only one team I'd be shouting for and it wouldn't have anything to do with woods or trees.