Okay...with Swale and I still going round in circles on the Crewe thread and mischievous Rich starting a thinly disguised ‘Warne out’ thread, let’s look ahead more objectively to the next window being opened in just six weeks time.

Where do we expect to be by then, what do we need, what can we afford, what do we anticipate being possible and how should we react if ‘loadsamoney’ Wayne comes a knockin’?

For me...on the evidence so far, I expect to be in or around the top six on about forty points after Posh at home on New Year’s Day, so handily placed...with the right strengthening. Anything less will be a disappointment, anything more...a bonus.

At the moment our main requirements are, imo, two fold. A midfield enforcer/leader and someone up front with some ‘presence’...if not an out and out goal scorer (nice but difficult), a bit of a ‘warhorse’ who can cause some chaos up front providing our existing strikers with more opportunities.

Of course our ability to strengthen is complicated by doubts about our current personnel. Will Nyambe be back? Will Rooney come in for Bird and Cashin (maybe more)...would you sell and for how much? Will Rosenior start a bidding war with Rooney over Bird? Will John Jules still be here or returning to Arsenal with his sick note?

Thoughts?