Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
This could be a long post because it's a subject I've found fascinating for years , even as a much younger man , bear with me .

As I understand it , Cryne analyses player performance data , this data is updated after every game the player plays in .

Don't get me wrong that's an incredible wealth of information to have and obviously is a very useful tool .

My point about this method has never been that it hasn't got its place my criticism of it is that as a club we see it as the be and end all .

We know this because all the old scouts were let go or at least 90% of them were .

My other problem with it is that the data given out is simply that , just data , there is no substitute what so ever for watching footballers play games of football in real time and over an acceptable length of time too .

One of the greatest assets a scout at a professional football club can have is instinct , it can't be taught , it also requires out of box thinking , such as seeing that a kid whose a striker would make a better central midfield player , Steve Agnew or a centre back would make a better striker , Dion Dublin , Chris Sutton .

The data never told us that Matty Pearson was a very good central defender because we bought him as a full back .

The data didn't tell us Ryan Hedges was way more affective on the right than he was on the left .

Or that Connor Chaplin is a way better player in the role he plays at Ipswich than the one he played here .

How come Victor scores goals regularly for Burton and Bolton but never looked liked scoring for us ?

How come we've had two opportunities , we've had the data , to not sign Amari Bell when he was available for absolutely nowt and is currently part of the Luton Town success story , he was 27 years old when they signed him is the clue or even Tom Lockyer who Luton signed on a free from Charlton Athletic , wait for it he was 27 years old at the time , both these lads are holding their own in the Premier League .

So the answer to your question is YN , we should be doing way much better than we do as a club who is always in the market for low cost players with talent that nobody else can see .

We don't do anything like enough of the work that's needed , we put up barriers with age restrictions and we haven't enough scouts to do the job properly because we don't think we need them .

The recruitment at this club is fundamentally flawed because of the time it takes to get our recruits up to speed and as a consequence we always take the step back .

My view in this post tells you it doesn't have to be this way and that's working within the same budget restrictions .
Great post Animal.

Some excellent examples.

Head, nail, firmly hit.