Quote Originally Posted by Monifieth Arab View Post
I can agree with you about the tactics being wrong but let's be honest we were 2nd best to every ball and lost every tackle and header and that is down to motivation,, even though the tactics aren't working there's no excuse for the individual performances put in last night. Again I can agree to some extent about the youngsters not stepping up but let's be honest they are held to a far higher standard than your Watts and Middleton's, watt and Middleton under perform week after week put are continually picked, the youngsters get 10 minutes here or there most weeks if they are lucky, then they get thrown in out of the blue to start a game, often in Mochrie and Meekison's case not in their best position then regardless of how anyone else around them is performing they get hauled off at HT or early 2nd half then dropped for the next run of games. How is any young players going to perform under these circumstances? They need to be given the same opportunities that others do. In the Patrick game last week Meekison came on for the last few minutes the ball got played to him in the number 10 position, in the commentators words he " took it on the half turn and looked to drive forward" when has Watt done that in that role he'd rather take the ball in to feet and pass it back, take a fancy flick and lose it or turn in to the defender and throw himself to the ground, this along with the hoof up the park to Moult to try and hold up or run after all makes our creative play far too slow or loses possession too easily. We need someone in there to take the ball on the half turn, draw a defender to slip it through to Moult or the wingers in space, Moult would thrive on that as would our wingers, the wingers very rarely beat their defender someone playing the way Meekison wants to means they don't have too, he can draw the fullback and slip it in behind.
In essence what I'm trying to say is we need a Charlie Millar type player as a 10 to bring out the best in the players around him, I'm not in any way comparing Meekison to Charlie but in my opinion in that role he is miles ahead of any other option we currently have.