+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Final five games revealed

re: Final five games revealed

Quote Originally Posted by Sup3rw3ll
    What worries me most is the goals against statistic. This is against the whole league, i'd like to work out what the stats are against top six opposition. I fret they will not be good reading.

[columns]
    Motherwell
    Dundee United
    Inverness CT
    St Johnstone
    Aberdeen
    Celtic
    [nextcol]
    [/columns]
    its our forwards that have kept us where we are. Our goals scored is excellent. Our midfield on their day are good. Our defence is generally mediocre at best and woeful at worst. Not helped by dodgy keepers. Only the bottom 5 have a worst defensive record than us and even then we run them close. The worst defence in the league (Hearts) have only conceded 10 more goals than us and they have played boys most of the season. We seriously need to make big changes in defence for next season. Had we had a decent defence and goalkeeper we would have done some serious damage this season and I wouldn't have bet against some silverware.

Counted this up manually, so might be out +/- 1, but is not good reading at all.. We might get pumped if not careful. Really, really need to get much more organised with the set pieces, and defending from the front.

[columns]
    Goals Conceded:
    Motherwell
    Dundee United
    Inverness CT
    St Johnstone
    Aberdeen
    Celtic
    [nextcol]
    Top 6
    [nextcol]
    Bottom 6
    [nextcol]
    Total
    [/columns]

Not all of our defensive frailties can be laid at the door of our defence or goalkeepers. On more than a few occasions our midfield has failed to protect and shield our back four.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellup4it
    Not all of our defensive frailties can be laid at the door of our defence or goalkeepers. On more than a few occasions our midfield has failed to protect and shield our back four.
    You are correct thats why i was careful to say our midfield on their day are good as i realise they have off days which expose the defence. However that said the general standard of our defending this season has on balance more often been grim rather than great. The number of times teams get free headers in our 18 yard box from set pieces is desperate and the amount of goals we ship is on balance more defensive errors than anything else.

I am convinced had we been able to defend to a good standard the league cup would at this minute be sitting in the Fir Park trophy room.

Quote Originally Posted by Sup3rw3ll
    Counted this up manually, so might be out +/- 1, but is not good reading at all.. We might get pumped if not careful. Really, really need to get much more organised with the set pieces, and defending from the front.

[columns]
    Goals Conceded:
    Motherwell
    Dundee United
    Inverness CT
    St Johnstone
    Aberdeen
    Celtic
    [nextcol]
    Top 6
    [nextcol]
    Bottom 6
    [nextcol]
    Total
    [/columns]
    If these figures are correct, it means a staggering 72% have been conceded to the top six. It does not bode well for the remaining five games.

I can't see more than 6pts max from that.

I'm ruling out the Beggarz game.
    Utd are far better than we are.
    St's and IceyTea at home are my plumb hopes,
    Aberdeen away -- maybe we'll need to take something for 3rd place, which worries me greatly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)