+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Norton / Nantwich Reviews?

Norton / Nantwich Reviews?

Anyone go? any early season reviews / analysis?

re: Norton / Nantwich Reviews?

Quote Originally Posted by GrestyLion
    Anyone go? any early season reviews / analysis?
    O/S seems to be carrying some good comments from the Gaffer and reports of the two games.
    But I'm with you: I'd like to see some incisive, pertinent and descriptive comments on here.

lets face it if we had lost 7-0 they'd write unlucky alex lose out to dabbers!

Crewe fell behind after 90 seconds after some clever build up play (2 passes) the ball then broke to steve jones to collect and score from 2 yards after just managing to evade 3 crewe defenders...

I'd rather fans perception over club PR!

I presume that the OS description of our 4 goals, as opposed to their 1, was correct?

From the comment by Mr (or Mrs) G. Lion above, our defence is as shambolic as it was for the first four months of last season. Is this a fair reading?

Were there no positives to take from these games? Fans' eye view?

I think folks are genuinely 'scared' of posting anything that may be deemed negative.

I truly believe, just my view and based on knowing **** all, that we are short 3 players and we need to make signings. I also worry our defence is still as fragile as it always is (not just last year) and Ben will need to have a great 2nd season to out-do his first - tough ask.

The squad have done well on Fri and Sun but it will surely need adding to? We seem to be, on here, pining our hopes on players who are new pro's or played little last season.

Here is the question from me, is 1 to 11 good enough?

Based on

BG, MT, AD/GR, HD, JG
    BI, AG, OT, LN
    MP VO

or similar (you can add/delete as you see)

It is always difficult to assess re pre season games but my honest opinion on the Nantwich game.

Our pass and movement was good especially in the first half. Could see the 'fluidity' with players switching positions quite comfortably.

Inman looked sharp, great quick exchanging of passing. Grant was surprisingly substituted at request of referee after about 20 mins which seemed bizarre. Up to that point he looked like he was cntiniung where he had left off last season.

Turton played well in the midfield and was supported well by Waters and Nolan. Seemed to have a lot of energy in the middle which is going to be required for the season.

Defence I was impressed with James Baillie, thought he did well, although the cross for their goal came from that side he was covering two players, clocked the cross but it fell nicelely for their player and he was able to cross the ball.

Duggy was dependable, Audel jury still out for me as there were not many attacks/corners to judge but he di

Quote Originally Posted by Proggs
    I think folks are genuinely 'scared' of posting anything that may be deemed negative.

I truly believe, just my view and based on knowing **** all, that we are short 3 players and we need to make signings. I also worry our defence is still as fragile as it always is (not just last year) and Ben will need to have a great 2nd season to out-do his first - tough ask.

The squad have done well on Fri and Sun but it will surely need adding to? We seem to be, on here, pining our hopes on players who are new pro's or played little last season.

Based on

BG, MT, AD/GR, HD, JG
    BI, AG, OT, LN
    MP VO

I take issue with your first sentence - there have been precious few, constructive, positive comments and a fair flurry of negatives, and those have not been explained or constructive.

However I agree wholeheartedly with the rest. And I fear that the

Went to the nantwich game and stayed until about the 80th minute.
    We still look woeful at the back against a pretty poor Nantwich team and seem to lack any talking or leadership on the pitch. Goalie in particular very very quiet and no help to the back 4.

Pogba looked lively and I believe Grant was ordered off by the ref for refusing to take his earring out? Only hearsay that from someone by the line so Id be intrested if anyone heard this also.

Definately need some new faces in and I'm not buying this rubbish about not being able to afford any. If that is the tuth then a full independant audit of accounts needs doing as the money is leaking away somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Proggs

Based on

BG, MT, AD/GR, HD, JG
    BI, AG, OT, LN
    MP VO

No. That team is not good enough and we will struggle. We have not improved on our weakest area last season in defense. Some would argue that is even weaker without Ellis.

Our strongest point was probably our attackers last season with Aneke and Uche and we haven't replaced them.

Relegation fodder unless back up is signed.