+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Alex v. Vale - just the start of the season

Alex v. Vale - just the start of the season

We didn't lose. We didn't look as aggressive as Vale (both senses) and some of our lads looked a little wan - but we got a point.
    Things will get better. Some of those lads had known each other for ... well, hours!
    I was reasonably impressed with the back four even though there were mistakes; the midfield took a battering; and the attack looked lacklustre until Coco and Cooper went on, but even they did not produce.
    For the future - the very near future - I'll be looking for: Defence - solidity and understanding; Midfield - creativity and vision; and Attack - some flair and drive.
    Ben Garratt was always going to be MotM, not because he was outstanding, but because he does what he does - reads the game, watches the ball, and gets himself in the right place.

Overall impression? Not brilliant, but we didn't lost - and that augurs well as the season progresses.

re: Alex v. Vale - just the start of the season

Only getting a point at home at one of the other relegation favourites doesn't bode well for the new season, but more importantly showing no attacking teeth against them makes it worse.

It' more frustrating that we haven't learned the lessons from last season, we're still looking to mindlessly chip it into the box rather than build a move, we're not risky enough in midfield , players are still being played out of position and I can't see any discernible tactic when it comes to attacking.

The one big plus from me was the centre backs Nugent looked a great signing and Ray also looks to have improved.

A lot to be enthused about in my opinion.
    Garratt is looking the class act we know he is, Ray is going to develop into a dependable CH and Nugent alongside had an excellent debut in my book. The back four all looked pretty sound.
    Yes, Vale were the better team but we didn't lose, we didn't concede - that is progress.

Another plus - apart from two rampaging runs, Uche looks no loss, but then I think we already knew that. How Billy got a yellow and Uche didn't, heaven only knows. Ref playing the numbers game I guess.

Up front, yes we looked more of an attacking force when Coops and Coco came on. I just think Haber needs to play in a two rather than be isolated with 2 wide men. His best last season was with Ajose alongside. For me, the way we finished is the way to go up front if we want to persist with a 4-3-3 as LDV will chase and harry all day.

Quite impressed with Billy too.

Only game one so I am encouraged.
    I think we have the players to do ok. Just need the formation

took the words right out of my mouth Somerset,,Uche fouled ab out 5 or6 times,nothing,.BB once gets booked.
    A toss up between Ben and Billy for MOM..Thought Billy mastered the midfield,another Nick,or Murph in the making.
    Thought King had a bad game but it`s early day`s yet,so who knows.(As did inman ,Ldv,and Haber)
    Still need a LB,hope we get the signing from Charlton.
    Still we did`nt lose,when was the last time we got a point on the opening day?
    Come on the Alex.