+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defensive Woes again

Defensive Woes again

Non existant again, Bury something like 29 shots today according to stats, without Ben we'd get blown away, don't understand why this never gets sorted,, every season!

re: Defensive Woes again

Totally agree about the major shortcomings in the defence. The statistics for the recemt seasons do not lie. Surely the Management have noted the deficiency in this area of play and can take steps to do something about it. Failure to do so will only wind up the fans and more importantly see the club facing a dice with relegation yet again.

Everything of note for Bury goes through Danny Mayor. Why is it that we didnt put a tackle in on him until late in the second half? We are so naive! Whereas Bury fouled colclough 5 times in the first 15 minutes! As soon as we realise the ref is weak, need to give players like Mayor a bit!
    And what is going on with the centre backs? Do they not know what defensive cover is? Goals 1 and 3 both came from the full backs being dosed out wide and then nobody got across to cover. Just schoolboy stuff.
    Good job Inman & Colclough look on it at the moment!
    The way it's looking Davis and Guthrie need to be the CB pairing with maybe Nugent playing against aerial teams, because those two in the first half were beyond bad.

Never gets sorted because of the BUDGET until that Brick around the 1st teams neck called THE ACADEMY shares the income out Crewe will remain in the big Hole

The 3rd wasn't the centre-half's fault, Ballie didn't go out to their No 3 and allowed him to run into the box. I thought Guthrie was deserved M-O-T-M and Turton played better at left-back. Nugent is a left-sided centre-half who was forced to play on the right after Ray's departure and he will be OK when Harry Davis comes back.

Agree about Turton. He had his worst game at right back. At the moment I would suggest the centre half pairing of Davis and Guthrie looks favourite. Guthrie was outstanding, both at Left Back and then at CH. On a positive note, we are creating scoring opportunities.

Have to say that I think the criticism of our defence, particularly the two CB`s is unwarranted. The way the team is operating they are on a hiding to nothing. They are in a no win position.

When the opponents are allowed to make 20-30 yard runs completely unchallenged for the whole game it is the midfield that is poor beyond belief. Not the centre of our defence.

Faced with these problems the CB`s are in an impossible position. Do they stay in position? Do they run out leaving their post to challenge? They are now overrun. They cannot win.

The first duty of a midfield is to protect their back four. Currently we do not have a midfield. A number of people on here presume that when we concede goals it has to be the fault of the back four. Sorry but you are so wrong.

Bring on K Lunt and Lee Bell lets see how there coaching skills have improved them!! Many a true word spoken in jest!

For Bell and Lunt some of us will agree and some us won't. But when all's said and done this is the only way the current board will operate.

Sorry Lukcour but I don't think we are so wrong! George Ray made 4 potentially calamitous errors in the first 15 minutes alone, nothing to do with being stretched by midfield runners, just crap decision making, sloppy passing etc.

Tom Pope's chances were nothing to do with midfield runners just ridiculously bad centre back play from pretty aimless punts down the middle - comedy capers without an opposition midfielder in sight! Watch the video.

Mayor's goal was nothing to do with midfield runners, but shocking cover from George Ray after Turton's initial mistake getting turned. Again just watch the video - unbelievable.

The second goal was nothing to do with midfield runners, just comedy defending again.

In fact I don't think any of the mistakes came from midfield runners! I think Fox screens pretty well centrally, although King defensively is a weakness and so Turton is up against it as a result.

So we'll have to agree to disagree on this one! I think they were unbe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast