+ Visit Arbroath FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Berwick Rangers 2 Arbroath 2

Berwick Rangers 2 Arbroath 2

On the whole an improved performance from the previous drivel. Still, not near good enough to win a majority of matches, or many for that matter, in this division. On the positive side things are heading in a better direction, but personally I believe any 'results' will prove to be misleading in the long term. A dramatic turnaround in philosophy and strategy is required, if this is to prove to be anything other than a relegation/bottom of the table scrap. But, then again what do I know? I'm just another c##t right???

P.S. FOR THE RECORD: I am not on the "Pie and Bovril" forums. I am not 'speckyboy'! Although I respect his views, whether I agree/disagree with them. I respect all the views of my fellow Lichties. I believe myself to be a most balanced individual with regards to my views/opinions. I consider everything when making my conclusions. My opinion on Todd Lumsden my seem to some to be f##king pathetic to some after only a handful of games (not three!), but it is neither errati

re: Berwick Rangers 2 Arbroath 2

It sounds like a good, fighting performance yesterday in tricky conditions. 3 yellow cards is nothing to boast about, but indicates some real passion from the team.

I'm convinced that we have a good playing squad which can do well in this league once we get the line up right. The loan boys and Victoria all look like lively additions at this point.

4 out of 6 games we've conceded in the opening 10 minutes. This is what the management have to focus on.
    No point spending the week planning for the game if the plan is out the window so early.

I don't know why we're losing so many early goals but I would suggest that it is more of a mental issue than tactical.

I seem to remember that when Alan Moore was appointed manager, Todd Lumsden was defensive coach. Even when we were on the great winning run last season we conceded plenty goals. We have continued to give away goals this season, so I have to question if Todd Lumsden could or can coach a defence. Losing so many goals in the first few minutes of games is very frustrating for supporters and I'm sure has led to much of the criticism of Lumsden on this site.
    It seems to me that continuing to play Craig Wilson at right back (maybe because he played with at junior level and is a friend of Steve Hislop?) doesn't seem like good defensive coaching when so many goals against this season have been due to weakness in that position. Perhaps signing a good defender would have been better than some of the forwards that have been signed.
    Having said that it was good to get a point and score 2 goals yesterday and hopefully our season will kick off from here.

Whatley has played well at right back. He is also excellent in midfield but we have plenty of cover there. Maybe it's time to put Mark in defence and rest Wilson.

Agree that this is a step in the right direction – and I hope that coming from 2 down so early on will be a wee bit of a confidence boost, I feared the worst when we conceded another early goal, let alone two of them. It shows the players are far from down and out to come back from that, we could easily have just fallen apart considering our recent run. In terms of the philosophy and strategy we’re currently deploying –do you mean strategy in terms of our formations/ team selections, or overall strategy in the bigger picture? In terms of formations/ team selections, I think Todd has picked the correct team and formation in the last two games. After our good pre-season showing, I think we had to go with the 4-5-1 as in theory with the attacking midfielders we have at the club it suited us, however after the very poor results/ performances v Elgin and Montrose, this had to be changed. One could potentially stretch as far as giving Todd some credit for acknowledging his Plan A wasn’t work

Well said, sir. Fully agree on all points. Of course, we can all appreciate the sheer frustration engendered by such a poor start.. but this latest performance and positive signs from the Quuens Park game should be offering some hope.

I like to characterise lower league club fans as a superior breed to those glory hunters of the big clubs. On any weekend, it is both laughable and embarrassing when such fans call for the sacking of a manager after a couple of bad results (cf Mourinho, Wenger, etc). Surely we are not as shallow and vapid. That's not to say it should never be entertained but it is far too early.

2015 has been an annus horribilis for the Lichties so maybe patience is in short supply.. but let.s see how we're doing after 12-15 games then cone to some judgment.

And rather than the tired and tedious 'sack the manager' mantra, it would be good to see some constructive suggestions. Here's one. Concentrate on not conceding in the first 15 minutes.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)