+ Visit Sheffield Wednesday FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do we need to improve?

Where do we need to improve?

We've heard it from the horse's mouth that he'll do 'whatever it takes' to get us back to the Premiership, so I'm anticipating a busy summer. But where do you think we need to improve if we are to progress and challenge for automatic promotion?

I'd like to see:

LB - Hopefully we'll retain the services of Daniel Pudil.
    CB - I think we need someone to challenge Loovens, someone like Lewis Dunk at Brighton would be a great addition.
    DM - back up for Hutch.
    CM - replacement for the outgoing Lopez.
    RW/LW - this is where we need to spend for me. I'd love to see us get someone like knockaert or Alan Judge but it would take some financial clout to do so.
    CF - unsure if we need to spend in this department or if a loan move would be more suitable. Do we have enough quality with Hooper, Forestieri, Joao and Nuhiu? Big season coming up for Joao in my opinion.

re: Where do we need to improve?

Right back is the obvious one for me, we need a Rolandesque type playing there, not easy to get though are they.

We need some steel in CM, some pace outwide and upfront .

A decent Centre Half would be good but i think Dunk could well be Premier League bound

Pudil hopefully will sign and a RB

The stadium definitely needs improving.

Quote Originally Posted by GHO View Post
    The stadium definitely needs improving.
    Not sure that would help get us promoted?

The stadium can be improved progressively alongside the team

We need a LB, hopefully Pudil, a RB as cover, defensive midfielder, another forward if Bus doesn't improve. a pacey RW, and finally an ave crowd of 25k+

Quote Originally Posted by aussieowl View Post
    Right back is the obvious one for me, we need a Rolandesque type playing there, not easy to get though are they.
    Why not a Petrescuesque type? He wasn't with you for as long but in a different league to Nilsson.

To be challenging for the top two Chansiri's going to have to be looking at investing another 50 million - and even then that's not likely to be enough. I wouldn't be surprised if the three relegated clubs bounce straight back up, and that may very well be the trend with this new financial package top flight clubs are now in receipt of.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchouro View Post
    Why not a Petrescuesque type? He wasn't with you for as long but in a different league to Nilsson.

To be challenging for the top two Chansiri's going to have to be looking at investing another 50 million - and even then that's not likely to be enough. I wouldn't be surprised if the three relegated clubs bounce straight back up, and that may very well be the trend with this new financial package top flight clubs are now in receipt of.
    Can't argue that the 3 relegated clubs will be favourites every season from now on with the financial advantage they have. Don't think it will take as much as £50M but investment will be needed to challenge.

Dan the man was a good player but neglected his defensive duties too much to be in the same class as Nilsson as a right-back. Was good as an attacking wing-back and got away with not have to defend as much when he went to Chelsea. We had some really good players 94-96 but not as good as the 91-94 squad and they didn't really gel as a team as well.

Nilsson was a solid pro. Peterscu was a wee bit special, I can't think of many better attacking right backs among his contemporaries - can't think of many better attacking right backs since.

A lot of people have written Villa off, but the talent in that squad at Championship level is frightening, it's also subject to change and be made stronger. There really is the potential for Newcastle and Villa to absolutely decimate the league next season, and going into the future any relegated Premiership team.

Derby are a team to watch, their owners have marked 2016/17 as the season they have to go up, expect them to spend big trying to compete. Cracking managerial appointment as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)