+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: well done under 23s

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Happy Birthday, Champs. I've been away for five weeks, walking in Italy. That might well be our last visit to Europe as the 30-hour journey is getting tough.
    I have watched the results, but I have stayed away from Roversmad.
    Still feeling more optimistic than most of you. Must be all that pasta.
    That's one hell of a journey to go for a walk !
    No seriously, where did you venture Aucks, ? I know quite a bit of Italia , cept south of Napoli /Amalfi.
    Always eager to recount locations in that country. Got quite a few left yet to visit.

I'm quite perturbed why no mention of Graham Hawkins passing on this forum, is it only me myself left who watched him? Surely Howie has fond
    memories.
    Happy days those.

Quote Originally Posted by Despair View Post
    That's one hell of a journey to go for a walk !
    No seriously, where did you venture Aucks, ? I know quite a bit of Italia , cept south of Napoli /Amalfi.
    Always eager to recount locations in that country. Got quite a few left yet to visit.

I'm quite perturbed why no mention of Graham Hawkins passing on this forum, is it only me myself left who watched him? Surely Howie has fond
    memories.
    Happy days those.
    Hello, Despair. We did two weeks walking on the Sorrento Peninsula, basing ourselves in a small town called Vico Equense. That included visiting Capri and Vesuvius, as well as the historical sites at Pompeii, Herculaneum and Paestum. We then walked from San Miniato in Tuscany to Sienna, staying somewhere different every night. As well as the walking, we visited Rome, Pisa and Venice.
    It was a brilliant holiday with wall-to-wall sunshine.
    Now back in a very wet Auckland!

Shame it's maybe your last venture as you obviously are really taken by the place.
    For myself I have the 'luxury' of nipping over the Brenner from Austria weekend next (when I am in residence there for while) this to spectate ( not run this time unfortunately ) the major mountain event in Limone on the northern shores of Garda.
    It's a great place and will / could be lower mid 20's. Whereas my locale in Tirol is saying first snow! Luckily I'm taken by both.
    Not all that much of the 'culture' up in those parts, but the vistas sceneries and pathways make up for it. An the wine is pretty much as good ie Trentino (almost as good as Piemonte).

Quote Originally Posted by Despair View Post
    Shame it's maybe your last venture as you obviously are really taken by the place.
    For myself I have the 'luxury' of nipping over the Brenner from Austria weekend next (when I am in residence there for while) this to spectate ( not run this time unfortunately ) the major mountain event in Limone on the northern shores of Garda.
    It's a great place and will / could be lower mid 20's. Whereas my locale in Tirol is saying first snow! Luckily I'm taken by both.
    Not all that much of the 'culture' up in those parts, but the vistas sceneries and pathways make up for it. An the wine is pretty much as good ie Trentino (almost as good as Piemonte).
    The problem is, we have now used up all the English money we left behind in case the emigration didn't work out. Add that to the nightmare of 30+ hours in planes and airports, and we might decide to travel less far in future. Of course, if I win the lottery next week, the prospect of Business Class might alter things!

About 3 hrs is my limit on aircraft travel, 30+ ! I would be suicidal. it's just so boring. Did Canada once, not again though.
    It's your locale that's enforcing the flight durations obviously.
    As for myself my plan was easy access Italia/Switz etc (less airport visits) but now Brexit has put some question marks against that. Although I doubt in the end Europe will not 'cut its nose to spite it's face'.
    Here's fingers crossed for your Lott tickets.
    On the subject of air flight, I had a chuckle at the story of Christianos private jet comin a cropper recently - with the airstrip it occurred : El Prat !!! Couldn't have put it better myself.
    All Jack Walkers fault of course 😏

Another Italy lover here, been 8 times in the last 9 years. Never been over the Brenner, never heard of San Miniato but have been to all other mentioned places. Usually there at this time of year to fit it into the International break, occasionally miss an away game too, don't like it too hot anyway so good time for me. Couldn't go last year so went in May this year partly to see the Mille Miglia. Love the Alps, driving the passos, been down the heel of Italy but not the toe yet, Matera is a must do, when you get south of Paestum.

Quote Originally Posted by yorkyclaret View Post
    Another Italy lover here, been 8 times in the last 9 years. Never been over the Brenner, never heard of San Miniato but have been to all other mentioned places. Usually there at this time of year to fit it into the International break, occasionally miss an away game too, don't like it too hot anyway so good time for me. Couldn't go last year so went in May this year partly to see the Mille Miglia. Love the Alps, driving the passos, been down the heel of Italy but not the toe yet, Matera is a must do, when you get south of Paestum.
    YC - there's no doubt Italy is hard to beat in terms of variety. I had never even heard of Paestum, but it's one of the most amazing historical sites I've ever seen.
    What sort of place is Matera?

Paestum is a big field with several Greek temples, Matera is said to have the oldest continually inhabited housing in the world, basically a load of caves on the side of a hill, that people moved into, some of the posh ones have doors. Used as a set in a film, think it was The Passion of the Christ.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)