+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: We need to make a stand....

We need to make a stand....

Regardless of your beliefs about how the club handled the current situation in the past or what , if any , level of responsiblity the club holds over the boys abused while under the care of Bennell, we as supporters need to make a show of support for Walters , Woodward and any other child who may have been abused in this horrible situation.

We need to do this to show that this horrible abuse is not representative of Crewe Alexandra , our supporters and our beliefs and that we as fans fully support the victims in this horrible mire we currently find ourselves in.

I'm thinking a standing ovation on 16 minutes (Walters age on his debut) at the next home game, although I'm open to any other suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by thnhouse View Post
    Regardless of your beliefs about how the club handled the current situation in the past or what , if any , level of responsiblity the club holds over the boys abused while under the care of Bennell, we as supporters need to make a show of support for Walters , Woodward and any other child who may have been abused in this horrible situation.

We need to do this to show that this horrible abuse is not representative of Crewe Alexandra , our supporters and our beliefs and that we as fans fully support the victims in this horrible mire we currently find ourselves in.

I'm thinking a standing ovation on 16 minutes (Walters age on his debut) at the next home game, although I'm open to any other suggestions.
    I agree this would be the right thing to do and maybe a protest against the inadequate response of the club. The thrust of the protest should be we want justice for victims and that that matters more than the club's reputation.

I'm all for recognising the courage shown by our former players but a protest? Are you for real? The press are circling and you want to give them more ammunition?

We need to wait for the outcome of the independent investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealex View Post
    I'm all for recognising the courage shown by our former players but a protest? Are you for real? The press are circling and you want to give them more ammunition?

We need to wait for the outcome of the independent investigation.
    Independent enquiry? Independent investigation?

Problem is who appoints them? Unfortunately, history shows that most enquiries and investigations are a stitch up unless they are truly independent. The FA and football clubs have a vested interest in keeping any criticism to a minimum!

But that is just my long standing cynicism based on what we have seen. Don't forget both us and the FA have said they have found nothing wrong previously.

Just one thing that has been said on this thread is that the guy was sacked because of a 'suspicion' of rape. School Teachers are suspended when claims are made while an investigation takes place and so what happened when these claims were first made? He was allowed to carry on and its been suggested that another club asked CAFC if it was OK to employ him and they said yes and he then went on to abuse other kids elsewhere.

Whether a so called 'independent' investigation will get to the bottom of this we don't know?

I think a clear out of the board and a reassessment of the academy and its funding doesn't need any investigation.

Its failing and needs urgent surgery. And that includes a new manager who hasn't a clue when we lose to clubs like we have done and big time. We should be fed up and hearing its men against boys and lack of motivation!

I am not sure what purpose a protest by Crewe fans would serve. There is no doubt that the Board membership has run its course, but who replaces them? Will they all be dying in office? I keep wishing someone would buy out Hassell, but no-one is likely to come calling at present. Equally, there is no likelihood of SD going at present. The Board will not want the Crewe boat rocked further.

I am ever entirely convinced by independent enquiries where the chairperson is selected by the body to be investigated, but we need to see the terms of reference and an unabridged report. I would hope that everyone at the Club is prepared to be completely open. Dario needs to step up and convince all that he really did not hear or see anything suspicious.

but I think it would be a good idea. It wouldn't be a protest but a demonstration of fan feeling and support for those coming out.
    It's a much more logical idea than some people seem to want (public burnings; ducking stools; the rack anyone??)