+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this the end?

Quote Originally Posted by ojprice View Post
    I didn't say that either. What I said was I objected to a previous poster criticising contemporary society for trolling whilst acknowledging that the preceding generation tolerated child abuse as 'an aberration.' In my view, the latter is a more serious failing than the former. There were many other flawed aspects of that generation - a generation that experienced no world war, enjoyed cheap housing, free University education, grammar schools and unprecedented social mobility and evenly distributed prosperity. And what gifts did they give my generation? Destroying social mobility, bankrupted the economy through crazed speculation and Brexit. Thanks dad.
    The so called baby boomers hey? Now then I have heard this a lot by the younger generation and this really is off topic but people that say that don't know what they are talking about. Rationing was still on until about 1955 ten years AFTER the war ended. People did live in poverty and had no clothes on their back. I had to put cardboard in my shoes when holes appeared. There was no housing benefit and everyone was expected to pay the rent as my Mother did with 12 kids. There was no social security or pension credits and help for child minding and every one I knew didn't have a car and if they did they were rusty old bangers. My first mortgage was a mile stone around my neck too with half my pay going on it and the rates etc. You rarely saw people at the Doctors as people only went when they were really ill, unlike today. Don't get me started on household appliances etc. It was a bloody hard life and only got better in our later years and now we have a few quid in the bank and little interest being paid and all I am amazed at the low rates now and youngish people all buying new detached houses. Along with their new car in the drive and wide screen TV's.

No mate it the generation NOW that have never had it so good and btw, many fathers and husbands and young men didn't come home as they were killed in the war.

Its the politicians today that make you pay for university education when in my day very few went there and now its ten a penny and just to add that watching CAFC back then was great and dire as it is now but it cost next to nothing and so how many footballers in THIS day and age can compare with the greats of yesteryear that were on the maximum wage of 20 quid a week like Frank Blunstone an ex Alex player who played for England and Chelsea and had to work at a newsagents each morning before going for training...Yep, they never had it so good did they!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    The so called baby boomers hey? Now then I have heard this a lot by the younger generation and this really is off topic but people that say that don't know what they are talking about. Rationing was still on until about 1955 ten years AFTER the war ended. People did live in poverty and had no clothes on their back. I had to put cardboard in my shoes when holes appeared. There was no housing benefit and everyone was expected to pay the rent as my Mother did with 12 kids. There was no social security or pension credits and help for child minding and every one I knew didn't have a car and if they did they were rusty old bangers. My first mortgage was a mile stone around my neck too with half my pay going on it and the rates etc. You rarely saw people at the Doctors as people only went when they were really ill, unlike today. Don't get me started on household appliances etc. It was a bloody hard life and only got better in our later years and now we have a few quid in the bank and little interest being paid and all I am amazed at the low rates now and youngish people all buying new detached houses. Along with their new car in the drive and wide screen TV's.

No mate it the generation NOW that have never had it so good and btw, many fathers and husbands and young men didn't come home as they were killed in the war.

Its the politicians today that make you pay for university education when in my day very few went there and now its ten a penny and just to add that watching CAFC back then was great and dire as it is now but it cost next to nothing and so how many footballers in THIS day and age can compare with the greats of yesteryear that were on the maximum wage of 20 quid a week like Frank Blunstone an ex Alex player who played for England and Chelsea and had to work at a newsagents each morning before going for training...Yep, they never had it so good did they!
    You make reference to your savings - one of the reasons that generation voted overwhelmingly for Brexit is because the economic chaos it will create is likely to see a rise in interest rates which is great if you've got a load of cash in the bank - not so good if you're struggling to pay off your mortgage

Incidentally this is the first UK generation that will be financially worse off than its predecessor - that's quite some legacy.

Its almost as if Mike and this oddjobprice are the same person having a conversation with themselve just to get hits for this site, narrggh, what a daft suggestion.

You make reference to your savings - one of the reasons that generation voted overwhelmingly for Brexit is because the economic chaos it will create is likely to see a rise in interest rates which is great if you've got a load of cash in the bank - not so good if you're struggling to pay off your mortgage
    You really think so?

I voted to leave so we can regain control of our laws, borders and courts.

Oddly a few bank shares I hold went down big time but that was known in advance and still did that and so IF I was to have voted for my personal gain, I would have voted to remain. Does that answer your question? My mortgage rates were 7% at the start and went up to 15% and now its what 2-3% and you think that's hard?

Quote Originally Posted by England_First View Post
    Its almost as if Mike and this oddjobprice are the same person having a conversation with themselve just to get hits for this site, narrggh, what a daft suggestion.
    Yes you are right, it IS a daft suggestion and I may be one of the few posters that have had the same user name for donkeys years no matter what site I posted on and never had another one. Why does getting 'hit's interest me?

Yes you are right, it IS a daft suggestion and I may be one of the few posters that have had the same user name for donkeys years no matter what site I posted on and never had another one. Why does getting 'hit's interest me?
    Ok Mike, like I said, a daft suggestion, no need to get so defensive.

[QUOTE=MikeSB;38344763]You really think so?

Oddly a few bank shares I hold went down big time but that was known in advance and still did that and so IF I was to have voted for my personal gain, I would have voted to remain. Does that answer your question? My mortgage rates were 7% at the start and went up to 15% and now its what 2-3% and you think that's hard?[/QUOTE

But houses only cost the price of a box of cornflakes. Most young people can't even get a mortgage now because of the size of the deposit required and stagnant wages. Everything is now more expensive because the pound has plummeted, if interest rates go up many people are going to have their homes repossessed but 'sovereignty' and straight bananas will be some consolation.

[QUOTE=ojprice;38344794]
    You really think so?

Oddly a few bank shares I hold went down big time but that was known in advance and still did that and so IF I was to have voted for my personal gain, I would have voted to remain. Does that answer your question? My mortgage rates were 7% at the start and went up to 15% and now its what 2-3% and you think that's hard?[/QUOTE

But houses only cost the price of a box of cornflakes. Most young people can't even get a mortgage now because of the size of the deposit required and stagnant wages. Everything is now more expensive because the pound has plummeted, if interest rates go up many people are going to have their homes repossessed but 'sovereignty' and straight bananas will be some consolation.
    Now you are being silly. Houses have ALWAYS been expensive to buy and relative to incomes. Most people I grew up with lived in council houses and few had the money to buy one. Do a quick calculation of what 15% interest rates would be like now and buyers should be aware the VERY low rates cannot stay that low for ever and be prepared for higher rates and that has nothing to do with the EU. What on earth gives you the idea that the pound ie exchange rate has anything to do with house prices in the UK accepting it will have an effect on goods coming in that may lead to inflation.

My guess is that many young people voted to remain because they travel a lot and don't appreciate what the cost of us being a 'sovereign' nation cost in blood within my lifetime and not theirs. The whole premise of having pride in one's country stems from our history. Do they teach that anymore at school?

[QUOTE=MikeSB;38344824]

Now you are being silly. Houses have ALWAYS been expensive to buy and relative to incomes. Most people I grew up with lived in council houses and few had the money to buy one. Do a quick calculation of what 15% interest rates would be like now and buyers should be aware the VERY low rates cannot stay that low for ever and be prepared for higher rates and that has nothing to do with the EU. What on earth gives you the idea that the pound ie exchange rate has anything to do with house prices in the UK accepting it will have an effect on goods coming in that may lead to inflation.

My guess is that many young people voted to remain because they travel a lot and don't appreciate what the cost of us being a 'sovereign' nation cost in blood within my lifetime and not theirs. The whole premise of having pride in one's country stems from our history. Do they teach that anymore at school?
    No you misunderstood me I said the cost of living has gone up as a result of Brexit and if interest rates rise as predicted many people will struggle to pay beyond their current fixed term. I don't really see and I haven't heard any brexiteers articulate what the tangible benefits of 'sovereignty' are. I don't have pride in being British. There are many things about the country I love, the culture, the people, the history, some of its values and freedoms but none of these things I am responsible for achieving so why would I be proud of it. I appreciate it but I wouldn't say I'm proud of it.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast