+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 152 of 923 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162202252652 ... LastLast
Results 1,511 to 1,520 of 9222

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

Not really sure why MPs would be deselected, why Gina Miller would be put in charge, what 'happy slappers' and yuppies (are there still any of them?) have got to do with it, or why just over one third of the country being a bit miffed would lead to 'civil war'. But apart from that...I agree...everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Personally I'd like to see the national identities of all countries retained but in a healthy 'vive la difference' kind of a way
    I make this point as someone who has embraced all cultures I've come across since I was in a white minority in my school class at school, and who will be out in town feeding all homeless of any origin who need it on friday eve, but this link suggests you might be being a bit idealistic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38200989

And it does make the brave step of being specific, another indication that the world is becoming a bit less PC and a bit more willing to tell it like it sees it

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I make this point as someone who has embraced all cultures I've come across since I was in a white minority in my school class at school, and who will be out in town feeding all homeless of any origin who need it on friday eve, but this link suggests you might be being a bit idealistic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38200989

And it does make the brave step of being specific, another indication that the world is becoming a bit less PC and a bit more willing to tell it like it sees it
    Take your point Andy. I think you may have misinterpreted my position though. I'm not remotely PC and have ended up in 'trouble' on more than one occasion, professionally, for not 'towing the PC line'. I'm wholly opposed to racism but equally I find the more 'fundamental' aspects of all religions equally distasteful and I don't believe for a moment that criticism of certain aspects of the Islamic faith necessarily equates to racism. Suppose all I meant was that I'm opposed to the homogenisation of cultures and value the positive differences offered by other nationalities. Anyway, good luck on Friday evening - a job worth doing - and, of course, with your Sunday prediction.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Suppose all I meant was that I'm opposed to the homogenisation of cultures and value the positive differences offered by other nationalities.
    I have to agree with that, I'm married to a Scot.

I have to agree with that, I'm married to a Scot.
    Brave man Andy... would you have had to move there if they had voted for independence? As a long standing member of the Association for the Rebuilding of Hadrian's Wall I can only imagine the horror that such a demand would have caused. Colonel Walter Kurtz would have had it good in comparison

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    Brave man Andy... would you have had to move there if they had voted for independence? As a long standing member of the Association for the Rebuilding of Hadrian's Wall I can only imagine the horror that such a demand would have caused. Colonel Walter Kurtz would have had it good in comparison
    Funnily enough I have been a longstanding advocate of rebuilding Hadrian's wall and cancelling Schengen on that border, even with 5% of England's land mass being collateral damage to that...my wife meanwhile would accept a penny on income tax if it went towards the redigging of Offa's Dyke! An example of a Scot being a Little Englander....

Seriously, the independence debate did cause 'discussion' amongst my Scottish acquaintances, all (and I mean all, and there are a few) a) would have voted 'No', b) couldn't because they were all non-domiciled and c) 'dislike' Salmond, and now of course Sturgeon, with a vengeance only the Scots can muster.

I'm more of a Kilgore fan than Kurtz

Funnily enough I have been a longstanding advocate of rebuilding Hadrian's wall and cancelling Schengen on that border, even with 5% of England's land mass being collateral damage to that...my wife meanwhile would accept a penny on income tax if it went towards the redigging of Offa's Dyke! An example of a Scot being a Little Englander....

Seriously, the independence debate did cause 'discussion' amongst my Scottish acquaintances, all (and I mean all, and there are a few) a) would have voted 'No', b) couldn't because they were all non-domiciled and c) 'dislike' Salmond, and now of course Sturgeon, with a vengeance only the Scots can muster.

Why are all the Scotch political leaders of late named after fish

Which brings us neatly back to Kilgore - are we talking Kilgore Trout here, somewhat of a reach from Kurtz via Vonnegut but lets speculate.

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    Why are all the Scotch political leaders of late named after fish
    Because they are all loan Sharks!

Quote Originally Posted by southernram22 View Post
    i agree that everyone is entitled to his / hers own opinion has anyone gone down the road of what happens if the judges rule against govt and parliment then vetos brexit are we all clear where and what happens then the protests in london which i must say fizzled out would be a mere nothing compared to the oncoming protests many mps would be deselected . obviously the woman who brought the legal case would take over running the country . and the happy slappers yuppies etc would then lead us into a fully integrated europe or civil war ?

History does not suggest that the UK population is much good at organised rebellion, so yes a few extremists may cause a bit of kerfuffle, but protests, nah doubt you'd get the million plus who protested about the Iraq war tbh, they are just not that motivated to be away from their take aways and sky TV! Do not underestimate the apathy of the average Brit!

There could well be a political backlash, in that many MP's in areas that voted heavily for leave would risk losing their seats, but seeing as the first priority of most MP's is to secure their seat in parliament, then parliament is not going to vote against Brexit and indeed that has been made clear by the major parties.

The debate as always is about the detail of the deal we get and Parliament should have a say on that and IMO there should be a second referendum on whether the deal is acceptable to people, given that the vote was about leaving the EU not the economic suicide of the UK!

I can echo that having Scottish ancestry and a relative who lives north of the border, though clearly 50% or thereabouts do seem to like the SNP. There are many contradictions, the Scottish fishermen who wanted independence but hate the EU due to fishery policy which is at odds with Sturgeon.

Its an irony though that four nations have existed as one the UK quite happily, living, working and moving freely between them (5 if you count the relationship with the republic) yet some of these same people dislike the concept as part of the EU?

Still I'm looking forward to all those leavers who voted for |Brexit queuing up to take the jobs that apparently they can't get due to immigrant labour, unemployment should fall dramatically as they flood the fields, hospitals, hotels and factories, the benefit bill will fall dramatically and we shall all be so happy.

Page 152 of 923 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162202252652 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)