Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
Anag, there is no loyalty! One can't have it both ways, the reality is we live in an era where its money and no regard to what an individual has done, same with players, they kiss the badge until a better offer comes along and then they are offski, so to expect individuals in football to act any differently or to expect standards of behaviour other than looking after oneself is completely deluded.

I for one don't necessarily have a problem with that, its a ruthless world out there, but why make statements like "we back the manager 100% and then sack him a fortnight later? Why not just be honest and keep quiet and do what you think necesssary?

Derby have been as guilty - sacking Clement when we were 5th must rank as a crass decision, no ****ing loyalty there and lets not go down the Derby gave McClaren a chance road, they only gave him a job because it was judged he was the best available at a price they could afford, not because they felt sorry for hi and wanted to resurrect his career or help him!!
I'm not really arguing with you Swale, it would be naive to believe that there is much loyalty left. I've cited examples like Gordon Guthrie and I suppose there are others outside the lower leagues such as Giggs and Gerrard but they are so well rewarded that they barely count. As regards Clement, I have no idea what went on and I suspect his sacking may have been related to non footballing matters and we've done the McClaren thing to death and have already agreed to differ. Maybe the only loyalty left comes from the genuine fans...the non glory hunting ones who live in places like Derby, Burton and Sheffield and still don't feel the need to adopt the colours of Barcelona, Chelsea or, for one season only, Leicester City. Any non season ticket holders going to the next Derby home match after the last three abject performances can certainly claim to be loyal.