+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: AH and his hype

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Big Al is now claiming an attendance record for a game that hasn’t been played yet.

Is he ok?
    Crowing about advance sales surpassing our record attendance for the all-seater stadium?

Can’t see a problem with that, Fatso. I’d do exactly the same.

Maybe we ought to consider if Old_pie is OK, though.

Where AH is concerned Old_pie's posts are “dull, tedious, repetitious and lacking in variety and interest”, which happens to be the definition of monotonous.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Trew and the transfer panel signed an awful lot of dross. OK, Hardy hasn't signed anybody Earth-shattering but those who have come in over the past year have mostly contributed to moving us 20 odd places up the table. It's not a fair comparison.
    RT had a plan he didn't stick to. He also didn't appreciate what worked and what didn't work because he didn't understand the business. AH knows what he wants to try and do and has hit on a manager that he can trust to get the best out of the players within the budget constraints. RT would have fired KN by now for whatever reason, standing with his hands in his pockets, talking scouse.

The signings being made appear sensible for our level.

But also let's not re-write history, we had McGregor and Grealish under Trew, great games against Man C and Liverpool, the opening of the stadium for Juventus, and yes lots of dross signings in the hope he would unearth some gem instead of creating an environment in which any such gem would blossom.

If you read my original post on this it is not the above that concerns me - but for some it has to be All or Nothing. He needs to cool it on his Tw@tter or risk losing credibility "Oh he only said it on Twitter, ignore it".

Lets see if they can keep us there. Hardy has also signed dross too with 2 good loanee's, one who has now gone.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by pedrolane View Post
    Lets see if they can keep us there. Hardy has also signed dross too with 2 good loanee's, one who has now gone.
    Which dross??

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    Crowing about advance sales surpassing our record attendance for the all-seater stadium?

Can’t see a problem with that, Fatso. I’d do exactly the same.

He didn’t say advance sales have broken the attendance record, he said the attendance record has been broken.

The important thing about an attendance is how many actually attend.

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    Is AH Ray Trew mk2?RT did similar kind of stuff early in his tenure.Fans were up his arse.The rest is history,can see the same happening unless he learns to keep his gob shut
    This is exactly what I wouldn't want to see happen, and unfortunately there's a big dose of human nature about it.

People who buy lower league football clubs do not do so as an investment in the genuine sense. The worst type, like Munto, buy clubs to defraud and asset strip them and get out ASAP. The best type buy them with good intentions, but also as an ego trip, enjoying in particular the honeymoon period when they receive the praise of the fans for their new ideas and/or input of the cash.

Sadly, when the novelty value wears off and the incumbent gets subjected to the other side of football fan mentality, the same ego that drives them to buy the club is deeply bruised and their enthusiasm can quickly turn into sulking resentment and loss of interest. Others may disagree, but I still believe to this day that Ray Trew arrived with good intentions and achieved positive things for the first two/three years, but then the above process kicked in and he became progressively less strategic and more embittered about the fans' reaction to him. He still wanted the profile, and switched back on at certain times, such as the summer after relegation when we seemed to be announcing a new signing every day and he was receiving praise and positive attention again, but overall the relationship between chairman and support base was breaking down and it all ended in acrimony. Indeed, I think in an attempt to save face, Trew took a lot of very bad business decisions in the last few months which damaged the club he once effectively saved.

It's hard to imagine such a thing occurring with Alan Hardy, but as 'irish' says above, in the first year of Ray Trew the eventual poor outcome looked equally unlikely. This must not happen again. Notts fans do not have to be sycophants and are entitled to criticise Hardy and the club when they feel it is deserved, but it is important for this to be constructive rather than unremittingly negative, otherwise even a self-confessed Notts fanatic like Hardy could start to wonder whether the joy and the ego trip of being a football club chairman (which he clearly enjoys) is worth the hassle.

For Hardy's part, he would do well to tone it down a bit, especially online. It's possible to maintain a profile without always having to be star of the show, which makes you an easy target if things aren't going so well.

Essentially, it's about both sides understanding each other's strengths, weaknesses and motivations, and keeping a balanced perspective.
    Last edited by jackal2; 01-02-2018 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    This is exactly what I wouldn't want to see happen, and unfortunately there's a big dose of human nature about it.

People who buy lower league football clubs do not do so as an investment in the genuine sense. The worst type, like Munto, buy clubs to defraud and asset strip them and get out ASAP. The best type buy them with good intentions, but also as an ego trip, enjoying in particular the honeymoon period when they receive the praise of the fans for their new ideas and/or input of the cash.

Sadly, when the novelty value wears off and the incumbent gets subjected to the other side of football fan mentality, the same ego that drives them to buy the club is deeply bruised and their enthusiasm can quickly turn into sulking resentment and loss of interest. Others may disagree, but I still believe to this day that Ray Trew arrived with good intentions and achieved positive things for the first two/three years, but then the above process kicked in and he became progressively less strategic and more embittered about the fans' reaction to him. He still wanted the profile, and switched back on at certain times, such as the summer after relegation when we seemed to be announcing a new signing every day and he was receiving praise and positive attention again, but overall the relationship between chairman and support base was breaking down and it all ended in acrimony. Indeed, I think in an attempt to save face, Trew took a lot of very bad business decisions in the last few months which damaged the club he once effectively saved.

It's hard to imagine such a thing occurring with Alan Hardy, but then in the first year of Ray Trew the eventual poor outcome looked equally unlikely. This must not happen again. Notts fans do not have to be sycophants and are entitled to criticise Hardy and the club when they feel it is deserved, but it is important for this to be constructive rather than unremittingly negative, otherwise even a self-confessed Notts fanatic like Hardy could start to wonder whether the ego trip (which he clearly enjoys) is worth the hassle.

For Hardy's part, he would do well to tone it down a bit, especially online. It's possible to maintain a profile without always having to be star of the show, which makes you an easy target if things aren't going so well.

Essentially, it's about both sides understanding each other's strengths, weaknesses and motivations, and keeping a balanced perspective.
    Very well put.

Who cares. Just don't look at twitter and wait till we actually sign someone. Not worth getting worked up over.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    Who cares. Just don't look at twitter and wait till we actually sign someone. Not worth getting worked up over.

^^^^ this.

I wouldn't compare Hardy with Trew at any stage of their ownership. Hardy is making some frankly ridiculous posts on Twitter, but I think he's a fundamentally decent person. I also think he's better at running a football club.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast