+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: Aberdeen v Burnley Official Match Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DonUnder View Post
    Besides if you fell over on Sheddocksley 17F you would likely land in dog sh1t and have your gear nicked by the time you got back to the changing rooms.
    Or run over by a scooter ned, or at best the match ball nicked by the scooter ned

I loved the City team with Paul Lake, David White & Andy Hinchcliffe etc in it & went to see them a few times. This current version of City are a million miles from that.

I think a lot of them would rather go back to that, than what they have now.

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    I've been saying for ages, thee's a tipping point coming in England, the lunacy that's going on down there left unsustainable in the rear view mirror years ago.

If I was a fan of a Swansea, Bournemouth, Burnley, West Brom, Palace ilk of club I'd far rather be pushing at the top of division two than playing in the first division with the behemoths.

What must also be weird though is you're a Citeh or Chelski fan of many, many years standing.

I read a piece someplace that said clubs like Citeh and Chelski aren't clubs any more, they're "host organisms" for monied, ethic-free, organisations .

I've read guys that watched Kerry Dixon from the shed or Colin Hendry from the Kippax who have said, yeah the first couple of wins were good but it just ain't the same now, it's not their club any more.

I don't know how this ends, but end it will and I think there'll be an implosion with teams going bust all over the shop.

Problem is I've been reading this kind of thing for years. It's not sustainable, there will be an implosion. Little evidence ever seems to be offered beyond gut feel and a sense that "it's all gone crazy".

I read an article in one of the papers a few years back (almost certainly The Times or Sunday Times) that challenged this view head on. I wish I'd kept it. The writer, an economist with a particular interest in the game and the TV companies argued that, contrary to the bloke down the boozer conventional wisdom that the amount of TV money washing around the English game could not be sustained, he was convinced it would continue to grow for the foreseeable future.

He gave elaborate reasons for this, but basically it boiled down to the extent to which the availability of a football league competition is a trigger for making people subscribe to TV providers world-wide. And as new markets opened up in China etc the product was only becoming more valuable. There was also a detailed discussion of why the English league was uniquely well-placed to be the league everyone bought into.

OK it's one guy's opinion and people can get this stuff wrong. But I couldn't help but be struck by the fact that I'd heard the "it can't last" opinion so many times, yet when someone who was qualified to actually took the trouble to examine the evidence intellligently he took exactly the opposite view. And sure enough the next time the TV deals were negotiated, and contrary to the views of the "it can't last" orthodoxy, the "unsustainable" level of money went up. Massively.

The TV companies don't give a **** if a couple of thousand Chelsea fans are nostalgic for the old days. What they care about is millions of Chinese subscribing for Sky.

Maybe the whole thing will collapse like a pack of cards as folk like to predict. I'm not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    "there was contact,, he was entitled to go down"

Game for p'oofs
    The amount of ex players and "experts" who come out with this drives me fecking mental. "It's a fecking contact sport you bunch of ****s" I regularly have to scream at my tv/radio.
    As for Todders please no one ever say that again

Quote Originally Posted by lancyclaret View Post
    In the SPL, you only have to suffer bias when you play the Glasgow 2.
    What a load of fvcking sh1te.

The worst bias we've suffered in the last couple of years were Collum's abject performances at ICT and Accies away.

Quote Originally Posted by DollyLongstaffe View Post
    Problem is I've been reading this kind of thing for years. It's not sustainable, there will be an implosion. Little evidence ever seems to be offered beyond gut feel and a sense that "it's all gone crazy".

I read an article in one of the papers a few years back (almost certainly The Times or Sunday Times) that challenged this view head on. I wish I'd kept it. The writer, an economist with a particular interest in the game and the TV companies argued that, contrary to the bloke down the boozer conventional wisdom that the amount of TV money washing around the English game could not be sustained, he was convinced it would continue to grow for the foreseeable future.

He gave elaborate reasons for this, but basically it boiled down to the extent to which the availability of a football league competition is a trigger for making people subscribe to TV providers world-wide. And as new markets opened up in China etc the product was only becoming more valuable. There was also a detailed discussion of why the English league was uniquely well-placed to be the league everyone bought into.

OK it's one guy's opinion and people can get this stuff wrong. But I couldn't help but be struck by the fact that I'd heard the "it can't last" opinion so many times, yet when someone who was qualified to actually took the trouble to examine the evidence intellligently he took exactly the opposite view. And sure enough the next time the TV deals were negotiated, and contrary to the views of the "it can't last" orthodoxy, the "unsustainable" level of money went up. Massively.

The TV companies don't give a **** if a couple of thousand Chelsea fans are nostalgic for the old days. What they care about is millions of Chinese subscribing for Sky.

Maybe the whole thing will collapse like a pack of cards as folk like to predict. I'm not holding my breath.

I am no economist

Far from it.

But.

It strikes me this is a case of a non sustainable rocketting econonmy. London 80's housing or sub-prime surely a market where prices increase faster than wages/inflation has to give?

Regardless i think some of the Burnley posts show that despite us being told for years that "fitba is just a business now" ultimately it's bollox. It's more akin to art or a public service and if the public (particularly in a one team town) don't feel they are getting the service they pay for .....they'll stop going.
    Last edited by DonUnder; 29-07-2018 at 12:51 PM. Reason: non existand NBN

Too right Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Grieves View Post
    What a load of fvcking sh1te.

The worst bias we've suffered in the last couple of years were Collum's abject performances at ICT and Accies away.
    I doubt lancyclaret will know who you are talking about there. In case not, Collum is a referee who has made some dodgy calls against us in a number of past games.

Quote Originally Posted by Gogsred View Post
    I doubt lancyclaret will know who you are talking about there. In case not, Collum is a referee who has made many dodgy calls against us in a number of past games.
    Fixed it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofrgmsdad View Post
    Fixed it for you.
    Thank you. Reads better now too.

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast