+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Memories of Crewe Away

A dint know Roma wor in BSF- Barnsley Scaffolding Firm, here to come and take you apart!

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Away days , luvved em , long trips set off at midneet , short trips set off hafe 7 or 8 , great days at wot cud be described as " different " !!! Days art , wunna strangest wa Caernarfon away int Cup , wat a strange place n fans too , ony just behind Marine and Gatesheerd mind
    Some of the best away days were ones you thought weren't going to be .

Caernarfon was certainly one of those , very strange hostile locals with an agenda .

Their day in the big time possibly .

Later on in round 5 we are at Arsenal away , parked the minibus where we could , arrived late , nobody had been before and why would they have ?

After the game turns out it's not where you'd choose to park .

Arsenal's lads think it's easy meat , 10 of us northern monkeys isolated .

What they hadn't reckoned on was that that minibus contained some characters who wouldn't back down to anybody and were seriously hard lads , reight as rain but don't push their buttons .

We'd have driven straight back to Barnsley and no bother but the Arsenal lads weren't having it .

We were all on it , never backed away an inch , gave as good as we got and they were the ones backing away and eventually did one down the road , I can see in my minds eye three or four of our lads chasing them down the road wanting to give em some more

Two of them lads are now no longer with us due to motor bike accidents and were killed at an relativity early age but my word they could handle themselves .

Interesting memories there Animal, and yes of course I remember that particular FA Cup 'run' we had in early '87.
    Caernarfon & Aldershot both had to be beat at home in a replay, and then it was away again in the 5th round... to Arsenal!.

Was Charlie Nicholas playing for them in those days ?. I seem to remember Martin Hayes scoring for them in a so called routine 2-0 win against a struggling Div Two team etc!.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Interesting memories there Animal, and yes of course I remember that particular FA Cup 'run' we had in early '87.
    Caernarfon & Aldershot both had to be beat at home in a replay, and then it was away again in the 5th round... to Arsenal!.

Was Charlie Nicholas playing for them in those days ?. I seem to remember Martin Hayes scoring for them in a so called routine 2-0 win against a struggling Div Two team etc!.
    Yes Champagne Charlie played , I think he got the second goal late in the game .

Martin Hayes went down like a sack of shyte for the pen , Futcher gave it away but it was one of those minimal contact things and the ref bought it , proper big club v nobody's decision .

We were well in the game up until that point , 0-0 at half time .

Arsenal off the top of my head had

John Lukic
    Viv Anderson
    Kenny Samson
    Tony Adams
    David O'Leary

David Rocastle
    Niall Quinn and Charlie Nicholas .

They weren't bad .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Yes Champagne Charlie played , I think he got the second goal late in the game .

Martin Hayes went down like a sack of shyte for the pen , Futcher gave it away but it was one of those minimal contact things and the ref bought it , proper big club v nobody's decision .

We were well in the game up until that point , 0-0 at half time .

Arsenal off the top of my head had

John Lukic
    Viv Anderson
    Kenny Samson
    Tony Adams
    David O'Leary

David Rocastle
    Niall Quinn and Charlie Nicholas .

They weren't bad .

Some good players in that Gunners teeum. If thadda sed Viv Anderson would be our future player/manager that day thad a probably bin lobotomized.

I remember going to that game animal as a 14 year old with my dad in the clock end at Highbury didn’t it kick off in the seats to the left of us?

It always brings back good memories Animal, when we met the 'top' teams in those days the cups, in the 80s & 90s.
    Remember us giving a very decent Tottenham team a slog, in the Lg Cup two legs in that '86-7 season.
    And the following '87-8 season, us hammering the Wet Spammers at their place lol. In a massive 2-5 (after extra time) win at Upton Park.

Last edited by Acido; 04-01-2020 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by suffolkred View Post
    I remember going to that game animal as a 14 year old with my dad in the clock end at Highbury didn’t it kick off in the seats to the left of us?
    I can't remember in all honesty but it probably did given the times .

We'd had a good rinse in a pub somewhere in North London , three hours worth .

We had a reasonable idea where Highbury was but the traffic wasn't something we had thought about .

Got inside the ground with five minutes or so already played .

Seem to remember we were exceptionally well supporting that day , possibly our average crowd at the time followed us down , which would be around 4k .

I remember we played in that classic away strip of yellow with Sandal Bayern sponsoring us , great shirt that , proper cool at the time .

Proper big game that at the time .

In my memory bank on a number of levels .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12