+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Will it be football as we know it?

Will it be football as we know it?

I find it difficult to work up any enthusiasm for the intent to restart the season. No doubt big business will get its way and the players will have to go through the motions for the outstanding games so the owners don't have to repay the broadcasters fees. After such a long pause in the season I would find it difficult to connect games played in empty stadiums to what happened up to the suspension of fixtures. The players will not be match fit. Despite the planned three weeks training there will be no kicking footballs in anger in preparation and we all know there is a vast gulf between being fit and being match fit.
    I doubt many players are keen on the idea and they probably have health concerns for themselves and their families. When Tory politicians talk about it being good for morale thats Tory speak for being good for football club owners. Most Tories would not be seen mixing with the plebs at a football match.

Quote Originally Posted by KINDERSCOUT View Post
    I find it difficult to work up any enthusiasm for the intent to restart the season. No doubt big business will get its way and the players will have to go through the motions for the outstanding games so the owners don't have to repay the broadcasters fees. After such a long pause in the season I would find it difficult to connect games played in empty stadiums to what happened up to the suspension of fixtures. The players will not be match fit. Despite the planned three weeks training there will be no kicking footballs in anger in preparation and we all know there is a vast gulf between being fit and being match fit.
    I doubt many players are keen on the idea and they probably have health concerns for themselves and their families. When Tory politicians talk about it being good for morale thats Tory speak for being good for football club owners. Most Tories would not be seen mixing with the plebs at a football match.
    Kinderscout I agree with you entirely. Who wants football with no spectators. I understand the financial issues but if, say, Barnsley start again. it will actually cost them money to put on home games and there will also be significant costs involved in away games. I don't know what the TV income might be , if any, but I suspect that any profit will be very small. Next season's season tickets are having to be held back from sale. Players will not be fully match fit and therefore may get seriously injured which is of no benefit to the club or themselves. This season should now be voided. It would suit us to have no promotion or relegation but if that is determined on current positions, then so be it. Relegation is the likely result even if matches are played. This talk about playing behind closed doors is to suit the Premier League and their vast TV income. If they end up having to pay less on transfer fees and players salaries, then that will be no bad thing. A proper decision should be made now ( good luck with that with this government) to void this season so that clubs could now concentrate on next season.

the games will be on you tube £10 a match.

They said all the matches would be be free to view

Not for me thanks.
    I can't see me renewing Sky Sports although I would miss the golf.
    Proper sportsmen.
    No cheating, respect for each other and the game.

Well I'm not missing it , to tell the truth I couldn't give a shyte personally .

Plenty of other things I enjoy doing these days in all honesty .

On a Barnsley FC front the thing took a severe hammering with me when Daniel Stendel left the club .

I bought in to Daniel and thoroughly enjoyed his team last season but it actually went further than that with me because he was such a remarkable and likeable down to earth bloke with as much passion for his team as each and everyone of us .

Something died when he left with me .

They will always be my club and I will always want us to do well but it's gone for me now .

Hard to put it in to words to tell the truth .

Quote Originally Posted by DOOALI View Post
    They said all the matches would be be free to view
    prem maybe but cant see that in the championship the cost alone to stage one game is prob a few thousand and away even more.
    then youll get the idiots that will travel to the ground. the EFL aint going to help with the costs.