+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: League two clubs vote to end season

Quote Originally Posted by Oldstripy View Post
    According to reports, a radical plan has been put forward by many club chairmen and officials to merge League Two and the National League.

Preliminary discussions have taken place on restructuring the divisions on a regional basis – turning them into League Two North and League Two South.

www.fanbanter.co.uk – Fan reaction to the latest football news, gossip & funnies

The plans, would boost the worrying finances by giving the attendances a much needed boost, bringing more local derbies in each club’s fixtures, which would also save travelling costs.

Another possibility is that League One and League Two could merge and be split into north and south divisions, which would leave the National League structure unchanged. That idea has already been suggested but it has been made more problematic by the bitter splits that have opened up in League One over how to finish the season.

The new idea would mean no relegation from League Two this season and no promotion from the National League. At a time when there is still uncertainty about when the lower leagues will be able to return and which clubs will survive, the plan provides a framework for a new era of sustainability.

There are already suggestions the divisions below the Premier League will be subject to a salary cap next season as English football reacts to the coronavirus crisis, to effect a reset of club’s finances and end the destructive cycle of debt that was afflicting so many clubs.

The new regionalised plans would accelerate that process of recovery.

Talks on the Championship and League One continue on Monday and throughout next week to determine how to end their seasons.

League Two voted to end the season on a points per game basis, with a play-off tournament for promotion but without relegating the bottom club Stevenage.

https://fanbanter.co.uk/radical-plan...tional-league/

Wow, that's incredible. I'd be stunned if that happened, good for us if it did and I guess most of the Northern clubs would be OK with it, but the southern section would look pretty weak on paper, definitely the more non-league looking of the two. Also, if I was a Stags fan I'm not sure I'd be happy suddenly finding my club in the same division as the two local rivals I'd been laughing at all year, especially Chesterfield.

I'm getting to the stage where I don't care what League we will be in, I just wanna see Notts County play again and take my seat down the Lane.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    I'm getting to the stage where I don't care what League we will be in, I just wanna see Notts County play again and take my seat down the Lane.
    Whilst this break hasn't lasted any longer than a close season with no International tournament, the not knowing when football is going to resume - with no date to count down the weeks to - is tough. It feels like that moment as a kid when you'd turn up for school one morning in late spring and notice that the goalposts had been taken down on the fields, or they'd put the nets up on the tennis courts where you played footy at break time and you'd think "Noooooooo, this means no more football in PE and it's cricket and boring' athletics for ever more." It's that sinking feeling on a loop, that's how lockdown has felt for me. Where have the goalposts gone?

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Yes, many of us on here have been saying that for weeks.

I can only think they were so fixated on their 20/21 season ticket sales, wage bills, milk bills (Southend) they forgot they we're participants in a competition for which players, coaches, fans had given 8 months of their lives for...

To me, not finishing the season was unthinkable
    Given 8 months of our lives for?

Some perspective needed I'm afraid here!

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    In which case we should not be allowing clubs to make up a new rule purely designed to suit their own interests in the short term, justifying it with "unprecedented times", you can use that phrase to justify anything. Let's promote the clubs with the highest average attendance because these are unprecedented times, there's no argument to be had because people are dying. How dare anybody question this rule when our brave NHS are on the front line, just shut up and accept the decision.
    Yet you made up a new rule that there should be a play-off as to who goes down from L2.

These are unprecedented times and whether a club plays in the National League or L2 comes well down the list of priorities imo.

I don't really care as long as we get to play again, and this virus is dealt with properly.

I have been told that the Northampton Chairman was interviewed on radio 5 today, he said that Barrow should not be invited into L2 and the best performing relegated club from L2 should be the ones to be invited back into the league. ie Notts county.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldstripy View Post
    I have been told that the Northampton Chairman was interviewed on radio 5 today, he said that Barrow should not be invited into L2 and the best performing relegated club from L2 should be the ones to be invited back into the league. ie Notts county.
    If the season is declared null and void, the only two real options are to start next season with one club short in League One, or to invite us back as the 91st placed club last season if they want the full numbers. If it's decided that this season doesn't count, we are the only club that can be considered to replace Bury.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Yet you made up a new rule that there should be a play-off as to who goes down from L2.

These are unprecedented times and whether a club plays in the National League or L2 comes well down the list of priorities imo.

I don't really care as long as we get to play again, and this virus is dealt with properly.
    Makes no difference to me (or Notts) WHO gets relegated, it's just a question of the fairest way to do it.

As I've said before, I want them to complete the season and play to the existing rules. I don't want to see any changes made, but if they're hell bent on cancelling and throwing the existing rules onto the fire then there's still evidently an ongoing debate as to how to proceed.

You might not care what happens but those with a financial stake in clubs and a great many people do care. If the teams going for promotion get the opportunity to decide their own destiny on the pitch via play-offs then in my opinion the teams currently in the drop zone who had a realistic chance of getting out of it should have that opportunity also.

The season is not getting completed in league 2 or the NL that has been confirmed.

The only games left for league 2 or NL is the play offs if they have them.

The finances are not there for the majority of clubs to continue and like the Port Vale owner said they could have gone up via the play offs but the future of the club is more important.

All I want is for us to have a chance at the play offs and i'd consider that fair and so would our owners.

As most of you already know i'm the resident (part-time) Barrow fan on the board....
    I do think that the EFL will over rule the L2 clubs over the Stevenage relegation situation - not because it's the right thing to do - but because it will stop the PL clubs using it as an argument for not relegating clubs to the championship. This does still achieve the results that you and the NL wants though.
    The NL rules do allow for the 2nd place team to be promoted IF the play off's don't happen - but they do need to as if nothing else it makes the NL look good and organised.
    As for us getting promoted - well that should happen as we were lucky enough to be top when the season ended and stay there on any PPG that can be used. It might not go down well with others - but the NL rules and regulations do mention PPG. Whilst they don't list occurrences it can be used they do infact ensure that no eventuality is ruled out.
    Notts need the NL to use PPG - because there will no doubt be clubs in either PL or EFL who fold because of what's going on - so Notts need to be in 3rd place even if the play offs don't happen - so they are next in line for a L2 position - not the way any fans would prefer to get back into the league - but i bet 99% of you would take it - wouldn't you?

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast