+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: O/t sturgeon

Quote Originally Posted by grantzer View Post
    Think you misread my intention. Telling teachers to go back to work is a financial decision,and disregards any risk involved. BJ needs kids at school so parents can work, so will find statistics to prove the schools should return. Changing class sizes from 5 to 15 obviously trebles the risk of infection, and it makes no sense for teachers to want that

Teachers or indeed anybody, should not return to work until they think it is safe to do so.

If Boris can say it's safe,then why can't your boss just say the same thing and make you return?
    Thanks for the reply. I did misread your post. It makes sense blaming politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by grantzer View Post
    Think you misread my intention. Telling teachers to go back to work is a financial decision,and disregards any risk involved. BJ needs kids at school so parents can work, so will find statistics to prove the schools should return. Changing class sizes from 5 to 15 obviously trebles the risk of infection, and it makes no sense for teachers to want that

Teachers or indeed anybody, should not return to work until they think it is safe to do so.

If Boris can say it's safe,then why can't your boss just say the same thing and make you return?
    Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    It's akin to borrowing aff the local money lender, you can have as much as you want but he/she is having it back in spades very soon and probably for evermore.

The furlough scheme was/is too generous and at the same time didn't reach enough people.

We are now throwing billions here there and everywhere as if a few billion won't make much difference now.

It will, it does.
    Quite right but any attempt to shift the discussion to how we are going to pay for this is just not being listened to.

It has been reported today (Saturday) on the BBC news website that the head of British Transport Police Scotland who lives in a rented flat in Glasgow has driven home twice during the lockdown period to his home in Holmfirth which is a distance of 236 miles. His excuse is that his journey home twice was ‘work related’. What a lame excuse. As far as I am aware their is no railway station in Holmsfirth and the head of BTP Scotland should be dealing with matters by video conferencing or using a phone to deal with any problems.
    The bosses have been getting away with no prosecutions for breaking the lockdown rules whilst members of the public have received on the spot fines or charged with an offence.
    In my opinion Catherine Calderwood should have been charged with travelling to her holiday in Earlsferry two weekends in succession but instead she gets a ‘ticking off’ by Police Scotland.
    It is not good enough. It should be the same rules for everyone or not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    It has been reported today (Saturday) on the BBC news website that the head of British Transport Police Scotland who lives in a rented flat in Glasgow has driven home twice during the lockdown period to his home in Holmfirth which is a distance of 236 miles. His excuse is that his journey home twice was ‘work related’. What a lame excuse. As far as I am aware their is no railway station in Holmsfirth and the head of BTP Scotland should be dealing with matters by video conferencing or using a phone to deal with any problems.
    The bosses have been getting away with no prosecutions for breaking the lockdown rules whilst members of the public have received on the spot fines or charged with an offence.
    In my opinion Catherine Calderwood should have been charged with travelling to her holiday in Earlsferry two weekends in succession but instead she gets a ‘ticking off’ by Police Scotland.
    It is not good enough. It should be the same rules for everyone or not at all.
    Mate of mine lives in Dundee but works from a rented flat in Wolverhampton from where operates as UK Manager for a company. He travels home every weekend to see his family. The way you see it is that he should not be allowed to see his family - would you happily spend two or three months without access to your family when there was nothing physically stopping you doing so and when it was practical to do so? I doubt it Islay.

Travelling for work related reasons is miles away from travelling to a holiday home at weekends, one being a necessity and the other a pleasure. People that travel for work have letters authorising the travel from their employers. I've issued these letters to people authorising them to travel during 'lock down' myself. All it takes is headed paper and a very loose justification, without this bit of common sense the economy might well slow to a sop.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    I don't think we are the same as Greece. Agree that if we failed to get our economy back working then the measures that were forced on Greece might be considered for here. Greece was totally under the eurozone bosses and that's a major difference as far as I can see.
    The great Sir Peter Hitchins (knighthood surely in the post) "wouldn't rule out a raid on savings" in today's column Bcram..........good time for safe makers and safe crackers me thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    The great Sir Peter Hitchins (knighthood surely in the post) "wouldn't rule out a raid on savings" in today's column Bcram..........good time for safe makers and safe crackers me thinks.
    Oh Nooooh! This can go one of two ways. For the first time EVER, someone in a government actually reads his stuff and believes him and acts on his advice. He has chuntered on and on about Boris, Cameron, the death of the Conservatives, the decline of religion, the failures in justice, policing, education, the loss of any moral fibre in the world, I think he's great and as far as I can see he is a contrarian who has never achieved a result! The second course of action is that the mere fact that the great Sir Peter Hitchens has mentioned a raid on savings will be enough to ensure that the idea is immediately rubbished and precisely the opposite will be put in place with rising interest rates and everyone desperate to save.

I had a friend who was in Greece at the time of their major troubles with the Eurozone. The hotel owner had sold his hotel and put the money into a pension fund that guaranteed and income with a small inflationary increment annually. I've probably not described it correctly but I am sure you will know what I mean. The company wrote to him and told him that the income would be halved and there would be no increment. I think this is what you mean by a raid on savings. It would be great it you could spell out in a bit more detail what a raid on savings might look like. I think the possibility of this type of action should be highlighted and the dangers it would create for the unemployed, the young, the elderly and workers, should be discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    Mate of mine lives in Dundee but works from a rented flat in Wolverhampton from where operates as UK Manager for a company. He travels home every weekend to see his family. The way you see it is that he should not be allowed to see his family - would you happily spend two or three months without access to your family when there was nothing physically stopping you doing so and when it was practical to do so? I doubt it Islay.

Travelling for work related reasons is miles away from travelling to a holiday home at weekends, one being a necessity and the other a pleasure. People that travel for work have letters authorising the travel from their employers. I've issued these letters to people authorising them to travel during 'lock down' myself. All it takes is headed paper and a very loose justification, without this bit of common sense the economy might well slow to a sop.
    The head of the British Transport Police in Scotland should be setting an example and not travel to his family home in Holmfirth by car especially when the nearest railway station to Holmfirth is in Huddersfield. This bosses seem to think that they can please themselves when it comes to abiding by the lockdown rules.

Oh Nooooh! This can go one of two ways. For the first time EVER, someone in a government actually reads his stuff and believes him and acts on his advice. He has chuntered on and on about Boris, Cameron, the death of the Conservatives, the decline of religion, the failures in justice, policing, education, the loss of any moral fibre in the world, I think he's great and as far as I can see he is a contrarian who has never achieved a result! The second course of action is that the mere fact that the great Sir Peter Hitchens has mentioned a raid on savings will be enough to ensure that the idea is immediately rubbished and precisely the opposite will be put in place with rising interest rates and everyone desperate to save.

I had a friend who was in Greece at the time of their major troubles with the Eurozone. The hotel owner had sold his hotel and put the money into a pension fund that guaranteed and income with a small inflationary increment annually. I've probably not described it correctly but I am sure you will know what I mean. The company wrote to him and told him that the income would be halved and there would be no increment. I think this is what you mean by a raid on savings. It would be great it you could spell out in a bit more detail what a raid on savings might look like. I think the possibility of this type of action should be highlighted and the dangers it would create for the unemployed, the young, the elderly and workers, should be discussed.
    Everything the great man says comes true.

There's seems to be a train of thought that the young can't pay for this, the elderly have the wealth and a lot of property wealth is achieved by doing zip.

I think it will be mainly property and literally taking some of people's savings. Don't know in what specific way.

P.s I agree with none of the train of thought in paragraph 2.

Was hoping for some free financial advice. I don't think we are in any way prepared for what will happen. The figures are absolutely huge and yet there are calls for revenue to be raised with new taxes on capital value of assets held by citizens. Homes, change the taxation to a % of the value, income, give everyone a basic income, tax, ramp up inheritance tax and income tax rates.

Was hoping for some free financial advice. I don't think we are in any way prepared for what will happen. The figures are absolutely huge and yet there are calls for revenue to be raised with new taxes on capital value of assets held by citizens. Homes, change the taxation to a % of the value, income, give everyone a basic income, tax, ramp up inheritance tax and income tax rates.
    There was an article I read but it blew my heid aff as I just didn't understand it.

Basically every world economy prints money and pays off it's debt at exactly the same time. Read to me like quantitive easing on steroids......just don't understand how that works......sounds straight from the Jeremy Corbyn book of economics but as I say I didn't really understand it.

I do think the 1st emergency budget will also cover all emergency exits for the vast majority of people there will be no escape, for the super wealthy there always is secret tunnels and escape routes.

They won't want northern rock style queues forming either so maybe there will be a period of limited daily cash withdrawals as well.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)