+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does Dyche do it?

Question How does Dyche do it?

It's 4.42 in the morning and my brain refuses to switch off.

Why?

Because I cannot understand how Dyche manages to get Burnley up to eighth (again) in the English Premier League on the lowest resources outside of the Championship.

Despite being at odds with his Chairman, battling the impact of a ridiculous COVID driven game reshuffle, overcoming another mauling at the hands of Manchester City and not having enough players to fill a bench, he pulls off another miracle.

I hope Mike Garlick is suffering from insomnia too and finds a way to keep Dyche at Burnley Football Club.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    It's 4.42 in the morning and my brain refuses to switch off.

Why?

Because I cannot understand how Dyche manages to get Burnley up to eighth (again) in the English Premier League on the lowest resources outside of the Championship.

Despite being at odds with his Chairman, battling the impact of a ridiculous COVID driven game reshuffle, overcoming another mauling at the hands of Manchester City and not having enough players to fill a bench, he pulls off another miracle.

I hope Mike Garlick is suffering from insomnia too and finds a way to keep Dyche at Burnley Football Club.
    He’s definitely got the sprinkle of gold dust BT , I’d be interested to see what he could do if they backed him a little better ,

In the light of a takeover it might happen you never Know.

Jonathan Liew summed it up perfectly at the start of his Gruaniad match report,

"Somehow, ridiculously, the Burnley bus trundles on, however many wheels keep falling off it. It has been a turbulent week for them: one that began with a chastening 5-0 defeat at the Etihad Stadium, and has taken in an injury crisis, a brewing storm between manager Sean Dyche and chairman Mike Garlick over expiring contracts and transfer investment, and a pitched battle against the racist elements of their own fanbase.

And yet, at the end of it, they sit eighth in the Premier League: level on points with Tottenham, within touching distance of European football. Captain Ben Mee’s header just after the hour was enough to seal all three points for them against a poor Crystal Palace. Afterwards, Dyche described it as one of the biggest results of his Burnley career. Truly, this is a club continuing to defy not just gravity, not just sporting economics, but occasionally even simple logic."

Couldn't have put it better myself.

That makes great reading!

Sean and Mike really need to kiss and make up and agree to future funding of the team.

And Mike must realise that he has a hell of a lot more to lose than Sean.

"It's 4.42 in the morning and my brain refuses to switch off."

It didn't keep me up that late BT, but I was lying in bed last night and there was something about that performance, especially in the first half that kept niggling away at me, keeping me awake, until eventually I recognised what it was. Straight from kick-off there was an assurance, a calmness, a confidence about them that I haven't seen for a long time, they played like they KNEW they were the better team, and in their minds the result was never in doubt. It reminded me of the performance at Elland Road early in the 13/14 promotion season, I expected it would be backs to the wall stuff, but straight from the start we were all over Leeds and played them off the park. You could see it coming in some of the earlier and pre-season games, but this was something special and eventually lead to promotion.

Where last night's performance came from I have no idea, it was almost surreal, it shouldn't have happened, and where it will lead to I've no idea either.
    Last edited by sinkov; 30-06-2020 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post

It didn't keep me up that late BT, but I was lying in bed last night and there was something about that performance, especially in the first half that kept niggling away at me, keeping me awake, until eventually I recognised what it was. Straight from kick-off there an assurance, a calmness, a confidence about them that I haven't seen for a long time, they played like they KNEW they were the better team, and in their minds the result was never in doubt. It reminded me of the performance at Elland Road early in the 13/14 promotion season, I expected it would be backs to the wall stuff, but straight from the start we were all over Leeds and played them off the park. You could see it coming in some of the earlier and pre-season games, but this was something special and eventually lead to promotion.

Where last night's performance came from I have no idea, it was almost surreal, it shouldn't have happened, and where it will lead to I've no idea either.
    I saw the same mentality in the last away league game I attended down in Southampton sinkov.

I suppose it all boils down to we are better than we think we are!

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post

Sean and Mike really need to kiss and make up and agree to future funding of the team.

And Mike must realise that he has a hell of a lot more to lose than Sean.
    Totally agree 59, I can only say to Mike, do you not realise what you've got with this manager and this group of players, get Sean into the Boardroom, have a nice cup of tea and get it sorted.

It didn't keep me up that late BT, but I was lying in bed last night and there was something about that performance, especially in the first half that kept niggling away at me, keeping me awake, until eventually I recognised what it was. Straight from kick-off there was an assurance, a calmness, a confidence about them that I haven't seen for a long time, they played like they KNEW they were the better team, and in their minds the result was never in doubt. It reminded me of the performance at Elland Road early in the 13/14 promotion season, I expected it would be backs to the wall stuff, but straight from the start we were all over Leeds and played them off the park. You could see it coming in some of the earlier and pre-season games, but this was something special and eventually lead to promotion.

I think that last night's performance was as a result of the fact that the shackles were definitely released because we knew that we were safe and could go out an enjoy the freedom that this gave us. A great team performance ensued and it was difficult to pick a man of the match because every player was up to the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    I think that last night's performance was as a result of the fact that the shackles were definitely released because we knew that we were safe and could go out an enjoy the freedom that this gave us. A great team performance ensued and it was difficult to pick a man of the match because every player was up to the mark.
    Man of the Match imo Sub was Ben Mee, that was an awesome performance, normally Ben likes to drop one huge clanger per game but last night he was flawless. Possibly my imagination but he seemed to have grown physically as well, he was far more commanding and dominant than I've ever seen before, perhaps the media sh-itstorm that descended upon his head last week, his handling of which gained him much credit in the media, has boosted his confidence. Whatever, I don't think I've seen him play better, he was a true captain last night and deserved that winning goal.

Man of the Match imo Sub was Ben Mee, that was an awesome performance, normally Ben likes to drop one huge clanger per game but last night he was flawless. Possibly my imagination but he seemed to have grown physically as well, he was far more commanding and dominant than I've ever seen before, perhaps the media sh-itstorm that descended upon his head last week, his handling of which gained him much credit in the media, has boosted his confidence. Whatever, I don't think I've seen him play better, he was a true captain last night and deserved that winning goal.
    sinkov ---I won't argue against that choice, however, Ben has always been a player who has typified the SD approach to its extreme. He has taken over the captain's role on the field and, although he has been criticised by quite a number of fans for his statement last week, he has got on with his game. He was immense last night.
    He was on a hiding to nothing with his statement last Monday because it was exactly what the PL, who pay the piper, would expect the club to do because if they had said nothing this would also have rebounded.
    The lunatics have taken over the asylum, however, we knew that anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)