Quote Originally Posted by neilthedon View Post
It`s a tricky one with Goalkeepers.

Ward was a revelation because prior to him we had Langfield.
So he steadied the fans nerves. Gave us a confidence back in our Keeper. (

His one weakness that stuck out was he wasn`t a brilliant long distance shot stopper ? Something Langfield was good at ? Mind you I`m being harsh. Some of the rockets were possibly unstoppable, yet I expected him to stop them due to him being good at most else ?? )

Going way back to when we had " good " goalkeepers. Bobby Clark wasn`t a natural. He coached himself into reading a game so well his positioning let him make the saves. Whereas Jim Leighton, was good at instintive saves. Yet his coming for crosses was suspect ? ( Again, maybe under instructions from God ?? Who knows !! )

Lewis. Coming after Ward , brought more maturity, talks and tries to organise his defence more 9 it needs it !! ) But deffo in his first season looked awesome. We`ve all been noticing his mistakes recently. But is tht prtially due to a constantly changing defence in front of him ? ( Think Leighton at Man U. He didn`t turn poor overnight. Magically it happened with the introduction of new defenders. Pallister , for one ? )

Aye, what do I know about goalies ?!!
Over the course of the time he's been here, he's not made that many mistakes and as you said, it doesn't help the defence in front of him hasn't been particularly consistent.

Also, worth pointing out that Lewis didn't come in after Ward as such. Unfortunately we had to suffer Scott Brown.