Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
Agree with your first sentence...don’t understand your certainty in the second.
Rooney obviously carries a lot of ‘clout’ around the place...otherwise, on the evidence of this season, he’d hardly be being picked to start let alone be in a position where he appears to be first name on the team sheet and playing a leading part in selecting the rest of the side.
It would be intriguing to know what the conditions of his contract are. He undeniably made a big difference when he arrived just ten months ago, but has been largely reduced to bit part set piece cameos since.
Seems to have huge influence around PP but, imo, doesn’t have either the intelligence/communication skills to be a successful modern day manager or the fitness to be a player-manager.
My certainty is based on what I've been told by someone who ought to know. Plus a feeling that anyone taking over the club is not going to risk their investment on a rookie manager. The only concrete evidence that Rooney is in the frame stems from him saying he would be interested in the job when asked by a journo. The rest is media speculation and he doesn't have the required coaching badges and therefore would have to have someone qualified to work alongside as co-manager.

Now why would you pay two people when for the same money you could get an experienced person to do the job? Plus what has he done since being at the club in a coaching sense which would make any prospective owner say "yes I'll appoint him as manager"?

Other clues - his odds have widened in the betting, Bookies tend to be reasonably smart, though not always right.