+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 58 of 299 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T. The Government's handling of Covid

I disagree, if people have to understand why in order to comply, then we may as well give up now as the intellectual capacity isn't there.

For my sins, I know a lot of people in the less well to do parts of East London /Romford. They don't understand anything but the basics (ie the what, not the why) and still don't comply. But if they did understand the why then they would just use that knowledge to figure out new ways to avoid the rules. 100% lockdown fatigue and avoidance.

I have to say that if this group is typical then we have no hope. In and out of everyone's homes all over Xmas, mates round, visiting friends and family as if it was 2018. Total avoidance of all community or indeed national responsibility.

This is a total lack of understanding (or willingness to understand) of the basics of even covid - distancing etc, not of the peculiarities of tier rules.

We may sit in our nice houses and argue the nuances of the rules, but sadly people in the round just won't comply because they don't want to. They don't care about understanding rules, they just don't want to obey them

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    I disagree, if people have to understand why in order to comply, then we may as well give up now as the intellectual capacity isn't there.

For my sins, I know a lot of people in the less well to do parts of East London /Romford. They don't understand anything but the basics (ie the what, not the why) and still don't comply. But if they did understand the why then they would just use that knowledge to figure out new ways to avoid the rules. 100% lockdown fatigue and avoidance.

I have to say that if this group is typical then we have no hope. In and out of everyone's homes all over Xmas, mates round, visiting friends and family as if it was 2018. Total avoidance of all community or indeed national responsibility.

This is a total lack of understanding (or willingness to understand) of the basics of even covid - distancing etc, not of the peculiarities of tier rules.

We may sit in our nice houses and argue the nuances of the rules, but sadly people in the round just won't comply because they don't want to. They don't care about understanding rules, they just don't want to obey them
    I have to say you do have an interesting dichotomy of views, on the one hand you decry me for generalising that people are in the main dumb, then put forward the opinion that this is indeed case.

One of the skills of leadership, is convincing people that what you want them to do, or indeed what you need them to do is what they want to do.

Yes there are a lot of people who do not fully understand the details of the issue, BUT they can be persuaded to do what is right if the right approach is taken. Those leaders who adopt a do as I say not as I do approach lose public trust very quickly, a leader who is unable to adopt a serious, clear approach to matters with simple explanations, backed up by demonstrating what is required will take most people with them.

One who constantly changes the message, gives the illusion that whatever action is required is only for the "little people" rapidly loses that trust and people's behaviour changes accordingly.

Its interesting that you seem to be able to cite examples of people ignoring the rules, whether this be mask wearing, mixing with others etc. yet in my travels around the country, including London, Manchester and surrounding areas such as Blackburn and my admittedly half dozen travels on public transport have experienced a compliance which I would rate at around 90%.

So whose experience is valid, and can we extrapolate that across the country? I suspect both are, but that actually the vast majority of people are complying. I very much doubt that non compliance is a big factor in the spread of the virus, its more likely that "eat out to help out", the push to get people back to work, University students travelling from all points of the country to mix in shared accommodation and very possibly schools are the main issues.

It was the mixing over Xmas that startled me specifically the absolute "well I'm doing it anyway" attitude. That seems to have then reflected in greater mask disobedience. It's just a reflection on one little enclave in a lower income sector, and I'm not pistulating it as nationally typical, but it's disturbing.

The "bollox to rules over Xmas" attitude no doubt has roots in the late change of lockdown tiers, and the spoiling of plans for short family gatherings. But interestingly a load of raves and pub lock ins were also broken up in the area

I can only agree with Swale’s opening paragraph. It is quite bizarre that you can, as you have, attack me - and others - for questioning Joe Public’s understanding of the complexities of Brexit and then suggest that the ‘intellectual capacity’ isn’t there to comprehend the relatively simple demands of Covid restrictions.

We’re never going to get 100% compliance because there will always be an awkward selfish minority and I agree with you about the problem of ‘lockdown fatigue’. It is however essential that people understand and it is the Government’s responsibility to make or enable people to understand. Unfortunately the contradictions from some Government ministers, including Johnson himself, and the breaking of rules by certain MP’s and one particular former advisor have only made the situation harder.

Maybe they should put the vaccine in beer and open all the pubs. The whole country would be vaccinated by this time next week. Just sayin’.

P.S. Is Romford in London or Es***? Sometimes seems to me that if we were to cut Es*** and somewhere called Thanet adrift we’d all be better off and they could indulge themselves in their ‘Little Britain’ paradises under King Nigel.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 03-01-2021 at 05:41 PM.

Maybe I had a road to Jerusalem moment exposing a side of Joe public stupidity I'd not seen before?

Maybe I had a road to Jerusalem moment exposing a side of Joe public stupidity I'd not seen before?
    Indeed maybe you have!

IF Johnson hadn't been so desperate to be the bearer of good news and had kept things on an even keel, things might be a wee bit different. But he seems incapable of saying it straight, possibly because he has based his whole career on saying nice things to peoples faces and then doing the opposite once they have gone? Truly the words "world beating " should never have been uttered by a member of the government and that petty crowing over getting the vaccine first and how the Uk was "better than all the other country's" was a tad childish and insulting.

I guess we are where we are and must hope that the roll out of the vaccine isn't ****ed up!

I'm hearing that school reopening might be delayed, not 48 hrs after Williamson declared they would open!

It's all Boris Johnson's fault that Dave went into Tesco yesterday with his mask under his chin, dirty hands and coughing everywhere, after updating his Facebook profile picture with an "I'm still European" frame.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post

P.S. Is Romford in London or Es***? Sometimes seems to me that if we were to cut Es*** and somewhere called Thanet adrift we'd all be better off and they could indulge themselves in their Little Britain paradises under King Nigel.
    It's sort of both. As long as you incorporate Barking and Dagenham in your excised part of the country, you'll have no argument from me.

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    It's all Boris Johnson's fault that Dave went into Tesco yesterday with his mask under his chin, dirty hands and coughing everywhere, after updating his Facebook profile picture with an "I'm still European" frame.
    Bloody Cameron keeps popping up

Yup, totally on the money there GP, whatever the rules bow there are just too many people either to dense or too selfish to keep this thing under control, vaccination is the only way out. I had need to call at Leicester Forest East Northbound services last eve and despite all the righteous words of warning at the door, there was virtually no evidence of any precautions within, either from the business side or the customer side. Most frustrating was three people wearing masks but exposing their noses...I actually think that many folk now think that mask wearing excuses all other precautions

Page 58 of 299 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)