+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 91 of 299 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T. The Government's handling of Covid

[QUOTE=Andy_Faber;39681748]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post

totally agree, the whole media approach to holding the devolved adminstrations to account has been powder-puff soft compared to HMG, despite ech having 1/20th or so of the volume to manage
    Interesting, I haven't watched any Wales or Scottish news so not in a position to comment. However, if you think HMG gets a hard time from the media in England, I beg to differ, I marvel at how when some lame and obviously false answer or even when no answer is actually given, on many occasions the obvious follow up is not asked by any there.

Still I guess if you don't think its the media's job to hold HMG to account, you could always go and live in Poland, Hungary or Russia where the state media seem always to ask the right questions!!

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Interesting, I haven't watched any Wales or Scottish news so not in a position to comment. However, if you think HMG gets a hard time from the media in England, I beg to differ, I marvel at how when some lame and obviously false answer or even when no answer is actually given, on many occasions the obvious follow up is not asked by any there.

Still I guess if you don't think its the media's job to hold HMG to account, you could always go and live in Poland, Hungary or Russia where the state media seem always to ask the right questions!!
    I actually agree, the ability to interrogate properly appears to be a lost art

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Sturgeon? I'll have my briefings, so I can talk my propaganda campaign at my own leisure?

Old pan face is as bad, if not worse than Johnson. Failed on targets, failed on money usage with terrible advertising campaigns.
    But Sturgeon controls the press better and facts get swept away.
    She doesn't give a monkeys about COVID, or Scotlands health.It's anything to undermine Westminster and blame them.

All this from a woman who's own constituency, is an absolute **** hole. Also has the highest rates of druggies and alkys in Europe.
    You'll forgive me for not slapping Krankie on the back.
    I think you'll find that Scotland tallies the addiction figures differently. Included in their drug addict numbers are all those addicted to legal prescription drugs. I believe no other country includes those figures.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    I think you'll find that Scotland tallies the addiction figures differently. Included in their drug addict numbers are all those addicted to legal prescription drugs. I believe no other country includes those figures.
    I said Sturgeons constituency.

But Scotland is rife with it.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-55347091

In fact her constituency has the worst rates of child poverty in Scotland.
    In fact it is a haven for illegal migrants/child prostitution/filth laden streets and all of the above.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCTD...entlemanCabbie
    Hardly a yard stick is she for sensible leader?

Here she defending it, it's all about underfunding from Westminster
    Poor Governhill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeJG...nnel=LizzeeCee
    Last edited by Trickytreesreds; 25-01-2021 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I actually agree, the ability to interrogate properly appears to be a lost art
    Decent journalism is in the main a lost art, but then if you look into these things, the press and politics (on both left and right) seem to be so interconnected that its "incestuous" one minute they are supposedly holding the Government to account, next minute they are been paid to spin for them. I think it was Blair's Labour that adopted that approach big time and its got worse ever sine.

For me any journalist who then takes money from a political party as spokesperson or spin doctor or other advisor is no longer a journo, you can't hunt with the hounds and run with the hare and have any principles or objectivity.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Jeez did you have to quote so I can read the deranged one from Notts ramblings?

As usual he has missed the point, I wasn't slapping Sturgeon on the back, I was pointing out that despite matters being no better she has retained credibility. Despite what he says she has managed a better message from what I've seen and more importantly the voters think so to!

Also why so uppity about a leader advocating independence, thought Brexit was all about "taking back Control", IF the Scot's want to do this then thats up to them surely?

Not that anyone gives a **** what Thicky supposedly "thinks"

Jeez did you have to quote so I can read the deranged one from Notts ramblings?

As usual he has missed the point, I wasn't slapping Sturgeon on the back, I was pointing out that despite matters being no better she has retained credibility. Despite what he says she has managed a better message from what I've seen and more importantly the voters think so to!

Also why so uppity about a leader advocating independence, thought Brexit was all about "taking back Control", IF the Scot's want to do this then thats up to them surely?

Not that anyone gives a **** what Thicky supposedly "thinks"
    I think you might be observing from too far away, and through the lens of a biased UK media, when you talk of credibility. The debate (about Sturgeon as a person and independance as an issue) in the actual country where this matters rages more deeply than Brexit, and its VERY factionalised - I personally don't know anyone (who would be eligible to vote) who would vote for independance, and through Mrs F's family that's a LOT of people. Of course I know that's not representative, its part of a faction/bubble, there are many many others with views both ways. One thing that most appear to want though, is a clear idea of the 'deal' they would be voting for, BEFORE they voted, ie what SHOULD have happened with the EU referendum.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I think you might be observing from too far away, and through the lens of a biased UK media, when you talk of credibility. The debate (about Sturgeon as a person and independance as an issue) in the actual country where this matters rages more deeply than Brexit, and its VERY factionalised - I personally don't know anyone (who would be eligible to vote) who would vote for independance, and through Mrs F's family that's a LOT of people. Of course I know that's not representative, its part of a faction/bubble, there are many many others with views both ways. One thing that most appear to want though, is a clear idea of the 'deal' they would be voting for, BEFORE they voted, ie what SHOULD have happened with the EU referendum.
    I actually have Scottish routes and many relatives in the North, so my prism is like yours reflected in their views, I'd say it was 50-50, but overall Sturgeon has high approval ratings from the lectorate, but then when has anyone's personal experiences tallied with polls?

Approving of how she has managed the Covid situation and wanting independence are two very different things but the point I was making why would an English person give a flying **** about it? If Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland want to go their own way, thats fine by me, self determination and all that!

My objection to Brexit, was not on the principle of leaving, but more leaving the single market and customs union which was madness!

the point I was making why would an English person give a flying **** about it?
    Two reasons -

First, as an Englishman amongst Scots I'm in the middle of a situation where there is always discussion/grievances to be had, the decision last time deepened some divisions amongst acquaintances if not friends, another referendum would do the same

Second, as a taxpayer/financial contributor in the 'mother entity' I would be concerned not to be financially worse off by any deal done - you've expressed ire at the financial (etc) impact of the Brexit deal, I would guess if you personally were being consistent you would be highly critical of too soft a Scottish independance deal, I certainly would. If I were negotiating I'd take the approach The EU did with UK - 'so you want to be an independent nation do you? well cop for these conditions tich'...

I don't think there is any danger of a UK government giving the Scots a "soft" independence! Sure go your own way, but don't expect to retain the ebenfits of the Union unless they are mutually beneficial!

I was rather referring to our overexcited "friend" from Notts who seemed to have got a stiffy over Nicola without cause.

Page 91 of 299 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)