+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we really have good players?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I find it really difficult to judge some of the new singings this season given I have only seen them on the live feeds, it's very different to watching them live and seeing movement off the ball etc. Of the singings that have been made since fans have not been allowed in Ruben Rodrigues looks like he has the most potential if played correctly (centrally behind a front 2 ideally).

I do think we have some good players but Thomas and Dennis have been big losses who have not been adequately replaced and obviously Roberts being out for so long has been an issue.

The very best managers make the team better than the sum of their parts, decent managers get them playing as a cohesive unit. I don't think either of those statements can really apply to Ardley at Notts apart from a spell last season which was sadly curtailed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    I find it really difficult to judge some of the new singings this season given I have only seen them on the live feeds, it's very different to watching them live and seeing movement off the ball etc. Of the singings that have been made since fans have not been allowed in Ruben Rodrigues looks like he has the most potential if played correctly (centrally behind a front 2 ideally).

I do think we have some good players but Thomas and Dennis have been big losses who have not been adequately replaced and obviously Roberts being out for so long has been an issue.

The very best managers make the team better than the sum of their parts, decent managers get them playing as a cohesive unit. I don't think either of those statements can really apply to Ardley at Notts apart from a spell last season which was sadly curtailed.
    I thought Jake Bugg was supposed to be quite good at singing. He might be good at football too.

I know it's not pc to mention it on here but o'l bighead from across the river seemed to get discarded or unknown players working at International class level, then when they left they disappeared into oblivion with the exception of Keane.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    I know it's not pc to mention it on here but o'l bighead from across the river seemed to get discarded or unknown players working at International class level, then when they left they disappeared into oblivion with the exception of Keane.
    I agree, but it seems to go against your initial point. An excellent manager makes poor players average, and average players good. Conversely, a poor manager will make good players average and and average players poor. That's pretty much was I was trying to say on my previous post on this thread.

ps Jake Bugg is too lightweight for this division, otherwise I'd give him a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post

ps Jake Bugg is too lightweight for this division, otherwise I'd give him a go.
    I wonder why old Mapperley was going on about singing players then

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    I thought Jake Bugg was supposed to be quite good at singing. He might be good at football too.

Haha. I have just re-read my post. Hopefully everyone got the gist despite the typo.

It’s a good question and one I’ve been pondering as I’ve read all of the comments about how this squad should be doing better.

The one thing we do have is players who can win you a game with an individual moment of magic - Roberts, Enzio, Wootton, Ruben, Sam. That’s something very few clubs have at this level, and has baled us out countless times over the past two seasons when there was nothing between the two sides (going all the way back to the 5-1 win over Chorley when they were the better side for an hour).

Where we’re weak - in both senses - is in midfield, hence our inability to dominate teams. We’ve lacked pace and power there for way too long, and while Mitch Rose was limited, I’d take him over Doyle or Reeves at this level any day of the week.

We’ve got good defenders and a decent keeper for this level (though it’s worrying that DKE is still our best left back). What we definitely don’t have right now is an inspirational management team.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    The one thing we do have is players who can win you a game with an individual moment of magic - Roberts, Enzio, Wootton, Ruben, Sam. That’s something very few clubs have at this level, and has baled us out countless times over the past two seasons when there was nothing between the two sides (going all the way back to the 5-1 win over Chorley when they were the better side for an hour).
    You can't legislate for moments of individual brilliance, so as good an impression it leaves it also papers over the cracks (who said that a few years ago and got an ear full from RT?) How many times have we gone out and dominated a side for the majority of the game, and by dominate I don't mean retain possession in our half, I mean look to threaten every time we go forward whilst nullifying their mid-field and attacking play?

I fear we are a new manager, 5 players and 3 years away from getting out of this league. And that's only if the wind is blowing in the right direction most of the time and the Reedtz bros strike it lucky. If I hadn't moved to the North side of the City I'd be tempted to support that team from South of us.

Not as good as last season. Better than what the current manager is getting out of them.

I think it's clear we have good players just by seeing where we are in the league despite playing so poorly for most of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by bouncingoffthewalls View Post
    I think it's clear we have good players just by seeing where we are in the league despite playing so poorly for most of the season.
    I think the problem is that we’ve shown in frustrating flashes that we can be an exciting, skillful team that’s streets ahead of the opposition. But the norm has been pedestrian football that’s frustrating, devoid of passion and rather tedious to watch. The consensus seems to be that we’ve regressed from last season due to the risky recruitment strategy and the unexpected losses of Thomas and Roberts.

Someone mentioned the lack of relegation - I don’t think that’s been confirmed yet, and some NLN/NLS clubs are trying to organise a mini-league to ensure it does happen. Hope they succeed, for the sake of the integrity of our division.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast