+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP Peter Lorimer

They were my second team after Notts, went up there a few times to watch them, saw them beat the red dogs 6-1.
    Married a lass from Leeds and it's our Ruby wedding anniversary in June.

Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post
    He was part of a pretty successful Leeds side that played lots of games without much player rotation

Sprake
    Reaney Charlton Hunter Cooper
    Lorimer Bremner Giles Gray
    Clarke Jones
    You wouldn't want to meet too many of those on a dark alley. Tough or what?

RIP Peter
    Seconded.

I was not even born when the great Leeds side of the 60s and 70s were at their peak, but when I see the TV footage and look at their achievements, I get the impression that they never really got the credit they deserved. A lot of people seem to regard the "Dirty Leeds" tag and the reported financial indiscretions of Don Revie in his post-Leeds days as a reason to play down their success, but you have to bear in mind that football in that era was generally very physical, and Revie's failings were arguably quite minor compared with some of the greed and corruption we see in the modern multi-million pound game. My impression is that they probably deserve a fairer rating from football historians than they sometimes get, but others are better placed to judge than me. RIP Peter Lorimer.

Has anyone got a match report from our great league Cup victory at Leeds

Quote Originally Posted by maddogslater View Post
    Has anyone got a match report from our great league Cup victory at Leeds
    Guardian.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Guardian.

Brilliant! Sends shivers up the spine reading that again. Cheers as always UTM!

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Guardian.

Fantastic research as usual UTM, and a brilliant reminder of how good we used to be. That is possibly my favourite ever away game, even eclipsing beating Forest at the City Ground, which is the highest bar you could set. Leeds were the undisputed number one team at the time, and in those days every club played their best eleven whatever the competition. When Scanlon's header hit the back of the net, it was probably the highest I've ever jumped in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Fantastic research as usual UTM, and a brilliant reminder of how good we used to be. That is possibly my favourite ever away game, even eclipsing beating Forest at the City Ground, which is the highest bar you could set. Leeds were the undisputed number one team at the time, and in those days every club played their best eleven whatever the competition. When Scanlon's header hit the back of the net, it was probably the highest I've ever jumped in my life.
    We didn’t do badly in the “return fixture” at Meadow Lane later the same season, in the FA Cup. I think Clarke scored a typical goal, the only one of the match, but we definitely didn’t disgrace ourselves against a very strong team.

Quote Originally Posted by applepie View Post
    We didn’t do badly in the “return fixture” at Meadow Lane later the same season, in the FA Cup. I think Clarke scored a typical goal, the only one of the match, but we definitely didn’t disgrace ourselves against a very strong team.
    The FA Cup tie was chosen for "Match of the Day" but unfortunately Jack Dunnett refused to allow cameras in, which owners were still entitled to do in those days. It's possible the presence of cameras might have put additional pressure on Leeds who had suffered a giant killing a few years earlier on MOTD at Colchester.

Back page of the Mirror after the League Cup win. Right click and open in a new tab or save if you can't see it full size......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast