+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Forfar Away

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    I think he's away. I really hope not but I just have a bad feeling.
    Based on this season we won't miss him. If we change our style of play and start suddenly attacking with width & quality from the midfield then there will always be that 'what if' of wondering how he would have played in this team. I'd like to keep him, 100%, but I won't blame him if he goes. He's been starved of opportunities and now looks set to miss the Euros as a result. The guy will be devastated if that happens.

My over riding question from last night (again) to MM is - ‘McNulty? Why?’ .

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    My over riding question from last night (again) to MM is - ‘McNulty? Why?’ .
    It's a baffling one. The dummy to Robson on the left which then ran out of play sums the boy up. He stood & smirked at Robson for about 30 seconds as if it was some kind of joke. Get the c*nt out of our club ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    It's a baffling one. The dummy to Robson on the left which then ran out of play sums the boy up. He stood & smirked at Robson for about 30 seconds as if it was some kind of joke. Get the c*nt out of our club ASAP.

Yep - I’m getting sick and tired of the flicks and the back heels and the wee tricks and looking at other players to blame when they inevitably fail to come off like they’re not on his ‘wavelength’. He’s increasingly looking like some guy who thinks all this is beneath him and that he should be playing in the Champions League instead when of course nothing could be further from the truth. Meanwhile, guys like Shankland, Appere and Clark who are actually contracted to and committed to the Club beyond this season aren’t either starting or getting subbied. It’s beyond baffling and is actually starting to seriously piss a lot of people off. I can guarantee if crowds were in grounds just now, McNulty would be getting it in the neck just now big style.

I don't think McNulty is that bad a player (poor last night), he is just not the type of player we needed this season for the way we are playing. As soon as a saw the line up included the dreaded triumvirate of Clark, Shankland and McNulty it sucked the life out me, and I text a friend to say I expected a comfortable but ugly 2-0 with little football. We were a lot worse than even I expected though. It has barely worked with those 3 but we keep insisting. I'd have Harkes any day over Clark in there. If not playing Fuchs he could have played 4-3-1-2 with Pawlett supporting, and sporle, harkes, butcher, or 4-4-2 with same players, or 4-3-3 with Apperre and McNulty either side of Shanks. Even against likes of Forfar we don't have creative players at present to out play/pass the opposition, so we need to win. I cant think of one game this season we have controlled possession, which is shocking. Is also a backhanded compliment to management and players we are safe, if like me you don't rate our squad.

I'd have bit your hand off for survival this season, so Melon deserves credit in my book, but there are a few worrying things, notably the time it took him to stop playing connolly and stick Edwards in the team when we were conceding goals every week from set plays, and insisting on Clark as anything other than a striker.

We have to make get players in this summer otherwise there is potential for us to go down next season.

Quote Originally Posted by North_Coast_Arab View Post
    I think this has been the worst season I have witnessed as far as Entertainment, creating chances / excitement etc.. that I can remember. I was however going on the assumption that this was to save our position in the Big league. Which I will give credit for but to not have chances against a side struggling two leagues below us is woeful.
    A couple of times I've actually thought, if you are going to have a pandemic and miss a season, then this hasn't been the worst one to miss, especially if you are travelling outwith Dundee to go to games. Hopefully next season the manager addresses the glaring inefficiencies going forward and we have a better product.

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTaway View Post
    A couple of times I've actually thought, if you are going to have a pandemic and miss a season, then this hasn't been the worst one to miss, especially if you are travelling outwith Dundee to go to games. Hopefully next season the manager addresses the glaring inefficiencies going forward and we have a better product.
    Going by his 2 signings I am hopeful he will do well in the transfer market. Edwards after taking time to adjust has formed a fairly solid partnership with Reynolds. Fuchs as a defensive midfielder is exactly what you want in there.

The loans Bolton and McNulty haven't really worked out but seemed like good deals when they were brought in and you can see what he was trying to do with these positions. Loans aren't the same as singing players though as you are more likely to take a punt with them.

Give MM the summer to fix the offensive side of things and then I will judge him.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    League One level? Our players are better than that. That was horrendous last night. For 30 mins we were under the cosh by a team sat at the bottom of League One and it didn't get much better, let's be honest. MM continuing with the three strikers that hasn't worked all season. Why? That's his decision and he has to take responsibility for setting us up in a way that we are unable to play. Yes, the players aren't good enough for the Premiership and he's done a great job getting us where we are, but he isnt devoid of criticism last night. We should've been up for that game, motivated, in their faces, pressing the ball and attacking in waves but we weren't. It was Forfar who were doing most of that to us!!! It was the turgid stuff we watched last season under Neilson. The sooner McNulty is away the better as the manager simply doesn't seem to think he's droppable. No idea what he sees in the boy. It'll hopefully stop the manager making this stupid f*cking decision to play three strikers in a formation that doesn't work.
    No, you're misquoting me. The conversation was regarding the whole season, not just the game last night. I also said that I will criticise MM when he deserves it. A cup game, which was like a cup final to Forfar, on a dreadful pitch, with no fans, with the goalkeeper out minutes before the game which we did actually WIN is not a time when I will be criticising the manager.

Forfar much fitter than i would have expected they kept closing us down right up to the end. However their number 9 clearly partakes in the bridies. Again another worrying performance. Also the BBC coverage is a joke, praising punts up park and not mentioning anything about utd. That Foster guy should be sacked for what he said about Benji, i know he didnt mean it that way tbh but he is a bitter chunt.

This game seemed to sum up our season. An opportunity to impress and go make a statement not just for the remainder of the season but to the supporters. The performance was poor, slow, no excitement like all season. Defensively we were ok but going forward jesus give us something please!!!!

First 15/20mins, Forfar were on the front foot, putting us under pressure and causing a few problems without creating too much. We looked like we couldn't keep the ball. We then did start to get a bit of control. Shankland had a big chance you'd expect him to score. Clark had a decent header but overall the first half was very poor. Too laboured, slow with no tempo.

2nd half- better control but not clicking in the final 3rd. Had a better tempo about us but that could have been down to Forfar tiring. Remember this is a forfar team who played Saturday and Tuesday leading up this game yet managed to hold their own against us for the majority of the game.

Deniz- dealt with what he needed to
    Smith- needs to improve his passing at times but defensively sound
    Edwards- solid
    Reynolds- same as always. poor passing but good defensively
    Robson- decent enough.
    Butcher- ok
    Clark- Get him out of midfield fs
    Pawlett- showed a few moments and took his goal well but getting played too deep imo
    Sporle- not his best game
    McNulty- waste of a shirt
    Shankland- body language doesnt look great :/

Appere- done more in the time he was on than some who started
    Fuchs- random late subby
    Harkes- thought he done ok when he came on.

MM
    Back to trying to force Clark, McNulty and Shankland into the team. This lineup was all over the place. What formation were we trying to play? Clark in midfield AGAIN! Taking shankland off? whats that all about. MM looked like he cba. Normally hear him shouting at the players but didn't hear much from him and anytime the camera panned to him he looked like he was just staring into the distance. (towards Doncaster?)

BBC
    The coverage of the game was shocking. Mcfadden talking nonsense throughout the game. "united can look forward to watching the draw" that would be the draw that got done at the same time as this round?!. Ricky Foster wanting a fellow professional to have a serious injury?? Didn't even get called out for it? they all laughed about it? shambles.

overall happy to be through but that was a tough watch.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)