Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
No problem if yer family is from there.
With regard to how this relates to European Super League.
One of the main arguments about that league was that football belongs within the COMMUNITY.
The success of the football club always benefiting the community.
If you support a club where you have no family links to ...... you are supporting a community that isn’t your own.
For example - if you have 2 kids and live in Barnsley but support Leeds United - and they do well - then 」」」millions of investment flows into Leeds City Centre (not Barnsley).
Jobs for kids in Leeds ...... no jobs for your own kids in Barnsley.
Yes - I do realise I’ve simplified things - but that is basically what the impact of football has on a town and its community.
Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
No problem if yer family is from there.
With regard to how this relates to European Super League.
One of the main arguments about that league was that football belongs within the COMMUNITY.
The success of the football club always benefiting the community.
If you support a club where you have no family links to ...... you are supporting a community that isn’t your own.
For example - if you have 2 kids and live in Barnsley but support Leeds United - and they do well - then 」」」millions of investment flows into Leeds City Centre (not Barnsley).
Jobs for kids in Leeds ...... no jobs for your own kids in Barnsley.
Yes - I do realise I’ve simplified things - but that is basically what the impact of football has on a town and its community.

“No problem if yer family from there”

So, explain this then.
Huddersfield town were in the First division when I was first taken to Oakwell. Mi father took me there as Oakwell was a bit of a quieter place for a six year old and the lower West stand (Open end side) could be a place where a young lad could walk down to the front and sit in the wall....( at half time and before the match in full view of his dad and his mate)
Dad wasn’t a Barnsley fan, he was from Huddersfield. No ties to the club, Mum was from Wombwell but didnt know what a football was back then. Dad took us all over watching the Reds, until he couldn’t sit in the seats and he had to give up.
So he had really no affinity, nor loyalty to the Tarn. He died in October, his name in the Reds remembered list this year, A red from the day he first took me, till the end.

52 years later..... and a good many ****age beatings from the blue and white fans around where I live, I consider myself a Barnsley person, as well as a fan. I won’t hear bad words against the place, people or club......

Mrs Jules began following us a few years ago.... She feels the same, she actually MORE aggressive in her defence of Barnsley ( town, club and People than I am...... wierd is t it? ...... no family ties to the club only me.
We feel part of the community, and even though we don’t live there we spend money in Barnsley, shop in Barnsley.

I’m insulted Nudge, I feel that Barnsley IS my community...... Sorry you want it to be a closed community.

Just a question.....

What’s your family background.....? 100% from within the town?

Just asking....