+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Dogs

When was the last time we had a dog on the pitch at Notts? I can't say I can ever remember seeing one.

I was watching a Villa match from 1979 recently when a dog invaded the pitch and held up play, Hugh Johns said on the commentary that it used to be a regular occurrence in his day, so it must have been a thing to take your dog to the match or there were a lot of strays about who found it easy to find their way into grounds.

In 1970 a Brentford goalkeeper had his professional career ended by a dog that ran into him during a televised match away at Colchester.

Notts did famously have a season ticket holder who was a dog circa 1983 which attracted the attention of "Football Focus", ITN news and Brian Moore who mentioned him on "The Big Match" when they covered a home game against Fword.

Don't reply with quotes Andy, I've got daft lad on ignore now and his single fan.

Name:  497full-ratboy-screenshot (1).jpg
Views: 129
Size:  38.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Ayeayeskipper View Post
    Name:  497full-ratboy-screenshot (1).jpg
Views: 129
Size:  38.1 KB
    Its wasted by the sounds of it you/we've been blocked.
    I bet he blocked me first..!

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    Its wasted by the sounds of it you/we've been blocked.
    I bet he blocked me first..!
    Not really mate.Gutted that he's blocked me though...where am I gonna get my material from now!
    Back on track, you got a dog these days Pedro?

Name:  58795_10150101316213478_8256620_n.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  21.0 KB

Here's our last rescue Lab cooling off ...

Quote Originally Posted by pingu_pie View Post
    I probably shouldn't reply to this thread, but hey.

I work as a dog trainer, and while there are loads of opinions on here, a lot of stuff about dogs is anthropomorphism and associated noise. Example - talking about a dog not loving you if your neighbour feeds it for a month. Can you define love? I can't. So how exactly do you expect a dog with a brain the size of a lemon to be formulating such a complicated social construct?

Essentially, most of the dog folks on here have it right - it's about responsible ownership. Train your dog, and clean up after your dog, and you are minimising the potential for issues. You cannot, ever, 100% guarantee how any dog will react in any situation - the "best" dog ever will one day chase something they shouldn't, and often the "worst" dog could be a hell of a lot better if someone put some time into them. It's why I never like people who walk dogs without leads on main roads, or anywhere in public really, outside of parks that allow dogs to free run. You may think you know it all, but you only need to be wrong once.

The other main issue with dogs is that they give off a huge amount of communication, and we know that we can't even understand a huge part of it - we don't have the olfactory receptors that they have, and we cannot sense the pheromones that they can pick up on from us. Even disregarding that, there is an absolute ton that dogs "tell" us that people are terrible at reading (including some famous trainers). It would be funny seeing the word "aggressive" thrown around as much as it is, except it's so sad to see what happens when dogs are considered such. As with so much else, people think they know everything just because.

Like everyone and everything, dogs learn through repetition and the associated consequence (reinforcement or punishment - in the scientific sense; punishment does not necessarily mean what you might think it means, it's essentially "make X less likely to be repeated in future"). They do form bonds, however, and having a dog that you love and who takes pleasure from your company etc is a lovely thing.

Having said that, somewhat surprisingly to most folks I have never had a pet dog myself. Like others on here, I can't give them the time they need as I am not around for several hours a day. I did, however, grow up with cats and used to work for a cat rehoming charity. I saw someone put about them being the biggest threat to wild birds - they aren't, I don't think it's even close. The biggest threat to wild birds are habitat loss (humans digging everything up and building on it), climate change (humans burning fossil fuels) and intensive farming (humans feeding their ever growing population). If we want a culprit species for most of the damage to the natural world, it doesn't have four legs.
    I agree with you about the rapidly expanding human population being a problem. I disagree regarding burning fossil fuels; it's the dreadful, supposedly eco-friendly, ugly bird-blending wind-turbines that are killing tens of thousands of our feathered friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayeayeskipper View Post
    Not really mate.Gutted that he's blocked me though...where am I gonna get my material from now!
    Back on track, you got a dog these days Pedro?
    I'm sure when hes pissed saturday he will unblock and head for the handbags.!
    No navy no dogs now we and the lady would love one but work to much so it wouldnt be fair.
    My sister has s border collie and dog sit for them now and again so that's the closest I get now.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    I'm sure when hes pissed saturday he will unblock and head for the handbags.!
    No navy no dogs now we and the lady would love one but work to much so it wouldnt be fair.
    My sister has s border collie and dog sit for them now and again so that's the closest I get now.
    I hope so, he's easy pickings. You know that you've hit rock bottom when even laddo says "he's not my mate". Anyway, soon as the shelters start filling up ( even more than they are now ), I'm off to Labrador Rescue to get a companion for my other sh1tting/p1ssing machine.

Which rescue do you use Navy? We've had 2 wonderful dogs from LRNW and my father in law also had what he's always called his 'best dog' from them (though in reality he called all his dogs that!).

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast