+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Unofficial NCM Ashes thread

185 all out. Magnificent stuff once again.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeignLegion View Post
    I was out for most of the day but I just saw an hour or so. It's the last I am going to watch.

I think the only team selection I have seen that is worse is when Warnock played Richard Dryden upfront when we lost 3-0 in the FA Cup at Carrow Road.

There is one player on the pitch that would make the grade in the previous England team that won the ashes and that says it all. And even he might struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeignLegion View Post
    The batting is shambolic. Truly embarrassing. We don't even give our (ageing) bowlers half a chance of making the game competitive.

Many years of prioritising cartoon cricket over the longer (proper) format of the game has left us with batsmen who would be more suited to playing baseball. Root aside, they have no idea how carefully craft an innings in the face of decent bowling. They're mentally and technically weak and the Aussies know that if they just bowl line and length and don't give too many easy runs away, the English batsmen will waft at something or play an incompetent defensive stroke before too long.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    The batting is shambolic. Truly embarrassing. We don't even give our (ageing) bowlers half a chance of making the game competitive.

Many years of prioritising cartoon cricket over the longer (proper) format of the game has left us with batsmen who would be more suited to playing baseball. Root aside, they have no idea how carefully craft an innings in the face of decent bowling. They're mentally and technically weak and the Aussies know that if they just bowl line and length and don't give too many easy runs away, the English batsmen will waft at something or play an incompetent defensive stroke before too long.
    I enjoy the shorter format of the game but admit that it has been to the detriment of the test team.

Surely it's no different though for the Australians though?

Different breed here mate..they have backbone on top of their skills.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    I enjoy the shorter format of the game but admit that it has been to the detriment of the test team.

Surely it's no different though for the Australians though?
    Judging by the standard of player coming through to the Test teams, it certainly seems that Sheffield Steel First Class cricket in Australia has maintained its standard better than our County Championship. Maybe Notts 78 makes a good point:

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    County cricket and its schedule is the main problem. T20 and now the Hundred get the best summer months whilst the County game gets the **** end of the stick. Notts played 8 of there 14 fixtures during April and September. The wickets will be more difficult to bat on and you wouldn’t have to be a particularly skilful bowler. It doesn’t allow for a good battle between bat and ball. And doesn’t give players the skills and experience to be elite level.
    The shorter format of the game is obviously the most lucrative and that's why County Cricket has been pushed to the sidelines, but many of the key skills and subtleties of cricket are gradually dying, especially on the batting side.

The shorter format makes most money for county sides

Issue is test cricket is money king for England cricket.

Im of the opinion The Ashes shouldnt have been played not that the result would change but the prep was a farce.

We drafted in an opener who hasnt batted for 4-5 months like he is the soultion.

They will give Dom Bess a token game at some point and more likely move Malan to open and bring Lawrence in.

There is zero leadership or planning from Harrison Root Silverwood....its nailed om 5-0

Jesus, stayed up to watch this last night. What a shambles. We’re about as far off them as we were at the height of Warne and McGrath.

No technique or discipline.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post

We’ve had psychologically and technically weak Test batsmen in the 40 years I’ve been interested in cricket, occasionally interspersed by something better, usually inspired by great individuals.

Australians are just much better at sport for whatever reason.

Australia are better at cricket.

Rugby different altogether we have slapped em about last 8-9 games.

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast