+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: ot - Rugby league, Hull Fc & Wakey & Batley etc

I've even seen it kick off on Darton train station before a Trin v Cas game and probably nobody was originally from Wakey or Cas .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I cannot for the life in me understand this obsession with the RFL to take the game to countries that aren't bothered about RL .

The two French clubs and the Toronto experiment .

The games heartbeat is Lancashire , West Yorkshire and Cumbria .

The foreign clubs add nowt .

How can Wakefield v Toulouse be better than a derby game with Fev or Halifax ?

Utter madness .

Where do you get the idea the “ French” aren’t bothered about Rugby League ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    Where do you get the idea the “ French” aren’t bothered about Rugby League ?
    Judging by the attendances at Catalan and Toulouse .

The French national Rugby League team isn't even in the same conversation as the Union one .

Other than that ........

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Judging by the attendances at Catalan and Toulouse .

The French national Rugby League team isn't even in the same conversation as the Union one .

Other than that ........

Well that’s a bit like saying the Scots aren’t interested in football because outside about 5 clubs the rest only get a few hundred. I grant you Union is more popular in France and richer, I live half the year in an area where League is very popular.

By contrast in the same area I would say football has almost zero interest. I’ve been there when France have won tournaments and the bars, streets and squares are empty.
    Last edited by Wardy; 28-03-2022 at 06:12 PM. Reason:

August 2021, Castleford v Wakefield , attendance 4,987

Super League all time average attendances.

Catalans , 8,346

Castleford 7,050

Wakefield, 5,333
    Last edited by Wardy; 28-03-2022 at 07:16 PM. Reason: ….

Well that’s a bit like saying the Scots aren’t interested in football because outside about 5 clubs the rest only get a few hundred. I grant you Union is more popular in France and richer, I live half the year in an area where League is very popular.

By contrast in the same area I would say football has almost zero interest. I’ve been there when France have won tournaments and the bars, streets and squares are empty.
    They may well be some interest in RL in the part of France your familiar with I wouldn't dispute that .

But does the French game warrant two clubs in our Super League ? .

Surely they'd be enough interest to warrant a French Super League .

My actual problem isn't so much with the French but rather the powers that be who run Super League .

I could probably live with Catalan and Toulouse if it wasn't to the detriment of historic and traditional clubs like Fev , Widnes , Halifax and even Swinton who reside in hot bed RL areas in this country and have superb histories .

Super League began with France having Paris St Germain who were invited whilst my club Trinity despite an incredible history had to earn our Super League status on the field when we beat Fev in the championship Grand Final .

Catalans replaced the failed PSG and were once again parachuted in to Super League , they couldn't be relegated for three seasons either to get them established !!!!

How'd you like L.A. Galaxy excempt from PL relegation for three years whilst you took the drop back in to the championship to keep the flame flickering in the US .

Sorry Wardy if the game in France was so strong Catalan and Toulouse wouldn't be over here .

August 2021, Castleford v Wakefield , attendance 4,987

Super League all time average attendances.

Catalans , 8,346

Castleford 7,050

Wakefield, 5,333
    Wardy we haven't won the Challenge Cup since 1963 and the league since 1968 .

Belle Vue is a ramshackle of a stadium and not fit for purpose for today's sports attender although thankfully the ground is now finally going to redeveloped with the first phase underway shortly .

It doesn't hold much more than our average attendance because of its state of disrepair .

A superb stadium and a team competing competitively in Super League and Challenge Cup and we blow Catalans out of the water mate .

When we made the Challenge Cup semi final in 2008 our first for 29 years we could have sold all the tickets to ourselves such was the interest .

Theres no doubt that Wakey do have the fan base and the potential, but this never quite gets tapped into.
    I know a number of their fans who say their biggest problem with the club is the ground/stadium, and needing to spend money on developing it. Something along the lines of "we can't and shouldn't even be trying to polish this turd!". 😯
    And thats Wakey fans themselves who have told me that.
    Has a move to a new stadium, or even a dreaded ground share been suggested, rather than developing the current one ?.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Theres no doubt that Wakey do have the fan base and the potential, but this never quite gets tapped into.
    I know a number of their fans who say their biggest problem with the club is the ground/stadium, and needing to spend money on developing it. Something along the lines of "we can't and shouldn't even be trying to polish this turd!". 😯
    And thats Wakey fans themselves who have told me that.
    Has a move to a new stadium, or even a dreaded ground share been suggested, rather than developing the current one ?.
    A few years ago we had a site identified with the necessary investment from commercial backers but planning permission wasn't granted and it fell through .

Wakefield council are in a funny position because they can't just back Trinity with tax payers money , they'd have to also back Cas and Fev which clearly is way too much money to do so .

Hence ourselves and Cas have poor stadiums and Fev denied Super League status .

Work will begin soon on building two new stands with the first one to start anytime now with the old main stand getting demolished .

The other one will be at the opposite side of Belle Vue .

We've had to polish the turd because if we were to ever be relegated from Super League they'd never let us back in acido because of the state of the stadium and the club would die .

Just found out the 2022 Challenge Cup Final with take place on Saturday 28th May .......... At The Tottenham Hotspur Stadium !!!!

Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast