+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 55 of 82 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread: 📝 New Manager [Luke Williams Appointed]

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    I am one of the old dinosaurs then.
    Me too. I can remember the days when football was a spectacular battle between teams wanting to win. They were the days when Saturday afternoon football was an entertainment and if at times it was not the most skilful thing to watch it was something that kept you gripping the terrace railings. When a good boot out from the goalie got the players charging upfield like the Light Brigade with the crowd roaring them on. Nowadays though, when you know the goalie is going to roll the ball out for the defenders to play to me to you with the midfield, then you know that is the time to go for a wee-wee or a fetch your pie and chips.

Why do you think so many of us old buggers shout "gerrit forward" and not "safety first"? Don't you see that the teams using the aggressive high press are the most entertaining to watch and usually the most successful? As that feller in Gladiator said "Are you not entertained?"

I'll admit that watching teams like Man City and others of that ilk and talent are good at what they do, but here in what is really League 5, we don't have the players with that level of skill.. Now we're watching and waiting for the inevitable mistake from a defender tippy-tapping the ball around like he doesn't know what to do next, hearing the crowd groaning "why the f*** didn't he get rid while he could?" The answer is "because he's under orders!".

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    Me too. I can remember the days when football was a spectacular battle between teams wanting to win. They were the days when Saturday afternoon football was an entertainment and if at times it was not the most skilful thing to watch it was something that kept you gripping the terrace railings. When a good boot out from the goalie got the players charging upfield like the Light Brigade with the crowd roaring them on. Nowadays though, when you know the goalie is going to roll the ball out for the defenders to play to me to you with the midfield, then you know that is the time to go for a wee-wee or a fetch your pie and chips.

Why do you think so many of us old buggers shout "gerrit forward" and not "safety first"? Don't you see that the teams using the aggressive high press are the most entertaining to watch and usually the most successful? As that feller in Gladiator said "Are you not entertained?"

I'll admit that watching teams like Man City and others of that ilk and talent are good at what they do, but here in what is really League 5, we don't have the players with that level of skill.. Now we're watching and waiting for the inevitable mistake from a defender tippy-tapping the ball around like he doesn't know what to do next, hearing the crowd groaning "why the f*** didn't he get rid while he could?" The answer is "because he's under orders!".
    I tend to agree. I much prefer the old-school style of getting it forward early and attacking with power and pace. I enjoy the physical battle more than the beautiful technical stuff. I think most people are the same. The atmosphere is at its best when we play like our lives depend on it, flying into tackles and bombing forward. That really gets people going. I've been to a few games recently where we were winning with ease, playing 'attractive' football, but the atmosphere was just flat.

I’m more than happy to mix it up a bit and especially away if it helps us. I think at home when teams park the bus and some do big time, then the only real option is to keep possession and keep probing away. Recruitment is key, I would like to see a physical CB and CF to come in and then a Yates type in midfield breaking it up and then giving it to players who can do some damage.

How many of those mistakes when playing out from the back directly resulted in a goal being scored against us?

I for one am glad Notts are trying to play out from the back, it's much better to watch than kick and chase...you can watch that on your local park to a lower skill level.

Sometimes Notts do play out too much but hopefully with the signing of Longstaff who has pace and hopefully some others, we will have the ability to still play out from the back but also mix it up occasionally and go into the final third quicker.

From what I can find out, seems it's either Tisdale or Luke Williams. Only Williams has actually managed/coached a men's Pro 1st team, but has had a few jobs as an assistant manager. While Tisdale has never coached beyond U23's. So you can bet your bottom Dollar it's Tisdale. A couple of players have signed, but no big reveal cos of the reaction they got from the fans when we announced signings WITHOUT having a manager in place. Prob will be announced today or tomoz.

Same here. Many on here set themselves up as ‘football purists’ and seem to have their rose tinted glasses on that at Notts we should be playing a European type of football. We get beaten by teams that are are more direct and effective.

Possession without penetration is pointless. So said Sir Alex.

It's a real conundrum for the owners, they've got to balance keeping their playing identity with keeping the fans happy. The big problem is that the size and history of the club dictates that expectations are rightly high from the fans. This means employing the right man is much harder for a club like Notts at this level than say Barnet or Dagenham for example. Add to that the expectation of both club and fans on any new manager/head coach it will have to be someone with very broad shoulders!

Quote Originally Posted by Lullapie View Post
    Same here. Many on here set themselves up as ‘football purists’ and seem to have their rose tinted glasses on that at Notts we should be playing a European type of football. We get beaten by teams that are are more direct and effective.

Possession without penetration is pointless. So said Sir Alex.
    There are people on here that do indeed like to discuss the game at a technical level, me included, that doesn't mean they set themselves up as purists, people just find different things interesting. Some like discussing tactics, others like posting puns.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    From what I can find out, seems it's either Tisdale or Luke Williams. Only Williams has actually managed/coached a men's Pro 1st team, but has had a few jobs as an assistant manager. While Tisdale has never coached beyond U23's. So you can bet your bottom Dollar it's Tisdale. A couple of players have signed, but no big reveal cos of the reaction they got from the fans when we announced signings WITHOUT having a manager in place. Prob will be announced today or tomoz.
    Tisdale would be a gamble. I have no doubt he's a talented coach, but he has zero experience managing a senior team and the pressure/responsibility that comes with that. If they go for him, it really shows how much faith they have in their process and philosophy. It sometimes feels like this club is the subject of a massive experiment. Hopefully, it all works out well in the end, but this being Notts - well, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Williams would be a very Reedtz appointment, I think it’ll be him. Had a rep as one of the best coaches in the country for about a decade and been credited with being central to successful ‘footballing’ teams while assistant at Swindon, MK Dons and Swansea. A risk though because his one foray into management didn’t go well at Swindon, although I believe they had a dodgy owner who brought Tim Sherwood as Director of Football who kept undermining him, so maybe not the easiest job to judge someone on.

Page 55 of 82 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast