+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squad looking much stronger

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    I think the squad is much better going into season than last. We are deeper almost everywhere

Also just as exciting is that it looks like we are getting the youth ready and in position to play. I think this will be a critical trip for some of the youth. If Summerville shines I think we will see HArrison for the money to toon. Not enthused about it but shows the commitment to the youth. Drameh is going to play a lot and do well as are some of the new players signed

They need to get Raph deal done as well as offload costa. Firpo is a problem as well. If some other team will take him at a loss for us we need to do it

Just my 2 cents
    Much the same was said about the "youth" players at the start of last season. I'd agree that we have some useful talent in the u18s etc, I just hope the departure of Bielsa (irrespective of circumstances), gives a better chance than last years crop had.

I think Joffy, Greenwood, Drameh and Summerville are in this year. Drameh could be the star of this group A little worried about Bate getting lost in the mix

Nutty as it sound I think Archie Grey is going to break in as well. Obviously the name helps but I think he’s special.

If we don’t sign a solid left back I could see Helje breaking in this season

I think Joffy, Greenwood, Drameh and Summerville are in this year. Drameh could be the star of this group A little worried about Bate getting lost in the mix

Nutty as it sound I think Archie Grey is going to break in as well. Obviously the name helps but I think he’s special.

If we don’t sign a solid left back I could see Helje breaking in this season
    Agree about Bate - thought he could have done a job, expect he willbe out on loan next week

Please make it happen will be forever grateful.
    Galatasaray are reportedly eyeing a move for Leeds United attacker Rodrigo Moreno if they fail to tie up a deal for Joao Pedro. That is according to Turkish journalist Onur Ozkan, who claims Rodrigo features on a list of targets for the Turkish club.

$20 million and we've done a miracle. Frees up time for Greenwood and Bate.

can't see it happening however. can't recall ever seeing a team like that paying that much. I might have missed one but they aren't common

$20 million and we've done a miracle. Frees up time for Greenwood and Bate.

can't see it happening however. can't recall ever seeing a team like that paying that much. I might have missed one but they aren't common
    That's the richest club in Turkey I'm sure they can afford it 15mil just to get rid of him and pay for useless Firpo fee which would only leave us 30 mil in the red lol

Having a squad where you can claim to have two players for each on-field position is all well and good, IF those players are truly equal to the task. We have acquired players who have no experience of the PL (or any UK league come to that), and who have either failed to appear regularly over the last couple of seasons, or have played most, if not their entire career in relatively minor leagues (the European league co-efficients put the PL top, Austria 8th and Belgium 13th, and have been selected at least in part on whether they are American and/or have been coached by Marsch or have played for a Red Bull franchise, which is an unusual set of selection criteria to say the least. They may have been stellar in their previous clubs, but for the most part either their previous clubs were simply not adequate preparation for the PL, (how many RB Salzburg players have "graduated" to the PL?), or the player concerned hasn't been able to secure game time at a club that might offer such a preparation, neither is re-assuring. We have form in this respect, with many of the players brought in from what we were led to believe was the top of the European class, making significantly less impression than was expected (Casilla, JKA, Rodrigo, Koch, Firpo), and the new crop exhibiting no greater potential.

As to the requirement to strengthen, that's unquestionable. We lost Alioski and Hernandez at the end of 20/21 season, and haven't replaced either. Alioski was a key component in how well Harrison played in season 20/21 (and how he stuttered once he was having to work with Firpo) and we now have no credible left back. Hernadez' contribution to where we are can't be overstated and given that we have no proven replacement for Philips a player able to fill the "midfield general" position is significant by their absence. Raphina (presuming he does eventually sign for somebody), will leave a huge hole in the attacking threat, and are any of the newcomers seen as able to hold a candle to his abilities? And the elephant in the room, no credible attacking threat without Bamford or Gelhardt. We can't honestly say that Bamford is where he should be fitness-wise and neither can we depend on a single attacking forward (presuming Gelhardt stays fit), something that bit us hard last season.

We have some funds, (not as much as many were presuming would be available), but none of those we are rumoured to be speaking to instil any excitement (de Ketelaere has appeared 90 times in the league for Brugge and scored 19 goals, very impressive, hmmm?). We're away in Aus for who knows how long, the season starts in just over 3 weeks, and there are holes all over the place.

No, the squad is not stronger, far from it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)