+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: End of an Era ?

End of an Era ?

For the life of me I can’t see us staying up ! Distresses me to say that, but where’s the counter argument to disprove it? We’re bereft of anyone who can change a game, our defence has more holes than a string vest, and why (oh why the fe@k why) does Shields get a start every week? H N Y 😟

Quote Originally Posted by sieb1886 View Post
    For the life of me I can’t see us staying up ! Distresses me to say that, but where’s the counter argument to disprove it? We’re bereft of anyone who can change a game, our defence has more holes than a string vest, and why (oh why the fe@k why) does Shields get a start every week? H N Y ��
    Totally agree with you sieb 1886 but how does SPITTAL get a game week on week. Van Veen is just not interested in working his socks off for the team or the fans. Wouldn’t be least bit surprised if Hammell resigns before Saturday. Sadly we look like a team that has accepted we are getting relegated. If we do go down IMO it will be several years before we are in the top flight again

We're going down. The Club is rudderless.

I don’t think we will go straight down as I think we are slightly less ****e than Ross County but we are very much in the mix for the playoffs with Dundee Utd and Kilmarnock. Unfortunately I think both of those sides have better players than us man for man and have it in them to pull away from us. Killie also have an experienced manager in McInnes and that may well give them a big advantage over us.

Truth be told we deserve to go down this season, as the way we have been on and off the park has been absolutely shambolic. We kept Alexander far longer than we should have, we parachute the youth academy boss into the managers job on the eve of the season, we sign two crocked ex players and somehow expect them to do us a turn even though neither of them have been away from the treatment table the last few years. And on the park we have been rank rotten and have one solitary home league win all season and just one win in our last eleven. That’s always a risk when you have a dismal squad with a rookie manager.

I'd take 11th if offered right now.

I don't especially blame Hammell, it was a crap situation and he probably felt obliged to step up. If we lose next week, I think he'll resign. If don't he'll probably stay but I think that would be for the worst overall - our league, where a couple of deflections or set pieces is the difference between celebrating Europe in fifth or wanting your manager binned in 10th is no place for a novice.

The board were - bizarrely - in a sense unlucky we scrambled sixth last season as binning Alexander at that point was a no brainer. Once we made Europe it was back him or sack him though, as hard as both of those decisions were, and doing neither left us sitting ducks.

Hammell firstly has to learn how to not lose games not necessarily win them. If he can get us playing where we are picking up a point then the confidence will return and the players will start to believe in themselves and their team mates. As it is at present we are a team who are willing to accept defeat without putting up any fight or effort. Lose to County on Saturday then the board have to take the decision out of Hammell’s hands and sack him even though he has been a club legend as sentiment wont save us from relegation if they decide to continue with him.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)