+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long balls...

Quote Originally Posted by Untinted Glasses View Post
    I thought a few of those were from corners. But if you are correct, then we had 1 bad game out of 20 odd. Let's not create a problem that doesn't exist?
    EPL teams will slaughter us on set plays and fast transition but we will learn, i was just pointing out the bleeding obvious.

I have noticed right across all Burnley fans' social media forums, criticizing VK is 100% off limits.

I well remember when it was just the same for SD, now it's open f*cking season.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    EPL teams will slaughter us on set plays and fast transition but we will learn, i was just pointing out the bleeding obvious.

I have noticed right across all Burnley fans' social media forums, criticizing VK is 100% off limits.

I well remember when it was just the same for SD, now it's open f*cking season.
    LOL. Slight over reaction I think. You can't judge us now for a premier league campaign. The PL will be addressed differently. VK is skinning this animal at this time. Horses for courses

In the PL we'll need a keeper like Pope but who'd be daft enough to sell someone of that calibre for under £20 m?

Quote Originally Posted by kritichris View Post
    In the PL we'll need a keeper like Pope but who'd be daft enough to sell someone of that calibre for under £20 m?
    But will we KC? We are quick to judge, me too as well I must add. When we sit and think though, we might not. Who knows. I certainly don't want to go back to getting the best shot stopper (NP) in the premier league and going all negative again.

I hope, which I know he will be, VK will stick to these tactics, which involves a play making GK.

Nothing I would like less than going back to a SD framework. I honestly think we will be fine in the PL with this squad playing in this style. When we add to it, mid table finish.

Playing against a good united team in the cup was a benchmark and we played well. I am sure we have 40 odd percent posession and quite a few chances. Benson proved he could do it at that level on the night too.

They did though, I would let Captain Calamity have a rest this weekend and let BPF have a go, would you?
    Over the last few years we have had some excellent goal keepers including Tom Heaton and Nick Pope.

When you compare those two keepers as we are likely to do Muric does not command his area and when facing any set piece he does not fill me with confidence. On the other hand Muric's distribution and passing is far better than either Tom or Nick.

To answer your question, tomorrows game is important to get ourselves back on winning ways, and should Muric play and make another massive error it could have a significant impact on the teams confidence, so I would start with BPF in goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Untinted Glasses View Post
    But will we KC? We are quick to judge, me too as well I must add. When we sit and think though, we might not. Who knows. I certainly don't want to go back to getting the best shot stopper (NP) in the premier league and going all negative again.

I hope, which I know he will be, VK will stick to these tactics, which involves a play making GK.

Nothing I would like less than going back to a SD framework. I honestly think we will be fine in the PL with this squad playing in this style. When we add to it, mid table finish.

Playing against a good united team in the cup was a benchmark and we played well. I am sure we have 40 odd percent posession and quite a few chances. Benson proved he could do it at that level on the night too.
    Ideally UG we need a pope with muric's sweeper capabilities, a rare breed so we will have to compromise unless muric can be coached to do that role.

Quote Originally Posted by kritichris View Post
    Ideally UG we need a pope with muric's sweeper capabilities, a rare breed so we will have to compromise unless muric can be coached to do that role.
    What's Billy Mercer doing these days? He'd sort our Aro out within a fortnight.

What's Billy Mercer doing these days? He'd sort our Aro out within a fortnight.
    I don't think he would to be honest, the things Aro lacks as a goalkeeper, positional sense, knowing when to come for a cross, when to stay put etc are innate, they can be marginally improved upon, but if the basic goalkeeping skills aren't there to start with, any goalkeeping coach is wasting his time. Aro just isn't a good/natural keeper and no amount of coaching will ever make him one. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    I don't think he would to be honest, the things Aro lacks as a goalkeeper, positional sense, knowing when to come for a cross, when to stay put etc are innate, they can be marginally improved upon, but if the basic goalkeeping skills aren't there to start with, any goalkeeping coach is wasting his time. Aro just isn't a good/natural keeper and no amount of coaching will ever make him one. IMO.
    Cast your mind back a decade or two mon ami, the goalkeepers I played with used to dig their heels into the turf and make visible signs of where the posts where and had a huge line drawn where the centre of the goal was. Whatever happened to that practice?

I think you are wrong on the "innate" bit otherwise their would be no need for football coaches.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)