+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Utd to send Saints marching home

Quote Originally Posted by Monifieth Arab View Post
    Seriously? Mulgrew sets the pace, pedestrian, he played once decent pass forward just after half time to our best and most dangerous player which was the laddie we had loaned to Stirling Albion. The laddie hugged the touch line and threatened every time he had the ball but unfortunately we very rarely found him. We tried to play everything down the right because Levitt was wide right. An absolute waste of our best player, we will never create with Djioum and Sibbald at centre mid. We scored and threatened after Levitt was where he should have been all game. Fox has no clue to leave things the way he did for so long showed his total ineptitude to see a game and make changes on the park or with substitutions, he is totally out of his depth and if he stays we are down.
    Totally agree with this.

I hate Mulgrews playing style. Have done for years. Up to the halfway line, look around, play a blind pass inside to the centre half. Time and time again. He slows us down so much.

On Fotheringham, time and time again he was in acres of space on the touchline and no one would pass him the ball, first half especially. It was criminal. Left me feeling guys weren't trusting of 'the young kid' so would switch sides to McGrath. Behich and Mulgrew were the biggest culprits.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    Davie Narey has always been a very private person who was never interested even in his pomp when it came to attending any functions etc.Even i wouldna blame Tony for his absence yesterday if indeed he was absent.
    Yeah, i thought as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Monifieth Arab View Post
    Seriously? Mulgrew sets the pace, pedestrian, he played once decent pass forward just after half time to our best and most dangerous player which was the laddie we had loaned to Stirling Albion. The laddie hugged the touch line and threatened every time he had the ball but unfortunately we very rarely found him. We tried to play everything down the right because Levitt was wide right. An absolute waste of our best player, we will never create with Djioum and Sibbald at centre mid. We scored and threatened after Levitt was where he should have been all game. Fox has no clue to leave things the way he did for so long showed his total ineptitude to see a game and make changes on the park or with substitutions, he is totally out of his depth and if he stays we are down.
    I honestly didn't think the distribution of the centre halves was an issue yesterday, thought Mulgrew was trying to drive us forward quite a bit second half. I think having three almost identikit midfielders seriously hampers us, none of whom are defensively orientated, or particular physical - again recruitment. All three want to pass and go, none of them want to break the lines and drive forward and commit players, it becomes predictable, work the ball out wide for a cross for Fletcher on his own, who hasn't scored a header all season. Even Fotheringham who had a decent game yesterday, cut inside first half on most occasions, started to drive at players more second half, likewise Levitt started to drive forward out of desperation. Think first half Behich and McGrath had a couple of runs, but no one really driving forward from a central area, everything was just getting worked out wide.

I wonder how many appearances/goals our attacking options had on the bench yesterday? Fletcher will score the very occasional goal and win headers, but with no one near him, where are the goals coming from. It is just one big cluster fek

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    Yeah, i thought as much.
    Its a pity but only inspires more respect, as he is one of the finest footballers, Scotland has produced and at a different club, he would have been rated much more so.

He epitomises what every footballer should be doing, by doing their talking on the pitch and presumably an immense pride whatever shirt was worn, in this case United and Scotland.

The management and coaching are immeasurably different these days, but some need to examine their motivations and Dave Narey is a fine example among a number of his team mates in that great side.

Leaving aside the fact we were architects of our own downfall yesterday refereeing inconsistencies was on evidence again yesterday. The huns got a penalty yesterday for a shirt tug we didn't. Both were looked at by VAR.

Name:  Ashampoo_Snap_19 February 2023_11h46m13s_003_.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  43.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by arab777 View Post
    Leaving aside the fact we were architects of our own downfall yesterday refereeing inconsistencies was on evidence again yesterday. The huns got a penalty yesterday for a shirt tug we didn't. Both were looked at by VAR.

Name:  Ashampoo_Snap_19 February 2023_11h46m13s_003_.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  43.0 KB
    100% a pen. I was screaming for it at the time. He had a hold of Fletchers shirt the entire time they were challenging for the ball. VAR checked it too. Joke.

I've recently moved back to the area after living in England for 16 years. Can't even remember the last time I went to Tannadice so I decided to go yesterday.

Wow!! Just - wow!

I've been reading about our problems on here over the last few years but holy sh!t!

Plenty effort but absolutely no creativity, no invention, no flair, no quality and precious little movement. SO slow to move the ball forward - get to half way then go sideways or backwards.

I was at the back of the shed and everyone was standing so I didn't get a great view of the opening goal going in but I thought at the time that it was fairly central in the goal and that most keepers should have dealt with it. The whole thing was far too easy though - their first attack of any note and they score despite having only one man in the box vs 5 defenders.

Another thing that has been mentioned on here is how Levitt has been a pale shadow of the player we know he can be, mainly thanks to being played in a defensive role. I thought this was evident again yesterday as he was largely anonymous, apart from the obviously fantastic finish for the equaliser.

The winning goal is the sort of incident that is exactly why we are bottom of the league, but is also exactly the sort of thing that happens to you when you are bottom of the league - don't ask me why, it just is.

And again, to pluck from the list of issues that I have seen discussed on here - substitutions, or should I say lack of…
    Take off an attacker (McGrath) and bring on an attacker (McLeod). Straight swap, not likely to change much and also left too late in the game. Sub keeper was enforced, possibly for more reasons than one. Take off an attacker (Fotheringham, who I thought was our best player yesterday, but may have been tired) and bring on an attacker (Cudjoe) in injury time, so far too late in the day in my opinion.

And the final word to Stevie May… for f*** sake, how many decades has he been f***ing us over?

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    100% a pen. I was screaming for it at the time. He had a hold of Fletchers shirt the entire time they were challenging for the ball. VAR checked it too. Joke.
    If its a Hun shirt being pulled its a penalty 100% as you say BUT if its Tangerine rather than Orange now that's a different kettle O fish.VAR was never gonna be fair in Scotland even the Tims dinnie get an even break.Goldson should have conceded 2 or 3 penalties since the introduction of VAR but he has yet to concede a foul in his own box.
    The other teams should never have agreed to pay for it and when they now get a choice in the Scottish Cup most refuse to pay but its too late now for parity of some kind in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTaway View Post
    I honestly didn't think the distribution of the centre halves was an issue yesterday, thought Mulgrew was trying to drive us forward quite a bit second half. I think having three almost identikit midfielders seriously hampers us, none of whom are defensively orientated, or particular physical - again recruitment. All three want to pass and go, none of them want to break the lines and drive forward and commit players, it becomes predictable, work the ball out wide for a cross for Fletcher on his own, who hasn't scored a header all season. Even Fotheringham who had a decent game yesterday, cut inside first half on most occasions, started to drive at players more second half, likewise Levitt started to drive forward out of desperation. Think first half Behich and McGrath had a couple of runs, but no one really driving forward from a central area, everything was just getting worked out wide.

I wonder how many appearances/goals our attacking options had on the bench yesterday? Fletcher will score the very occasional goal and win headers, but with no one near him, where are the goals coming from. It is just one big cluster fek
    Absolutely spot on. Great post.

Justaway , having been saying this for weeks , spot on , everyone keeps going about slow / sideways passing , this is the reason , to often no option for the man with the ball , poor recruitment / coaching , there is just no link from middle to front

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)