+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Boycott MOTD

[QUOTE=ramAnag;40236739][QUOTE=Andy_Faber;40236718]
    On the current subject I actually think the beeb are wrong, opinions shared which are clearly made personally and are made on non-BBC platforms are fair go as far as I'm concerned

We can agree on that bit. Seems to be what most people are saying. Sorry...I tend not to watch daytime TV after breakfast.
    I guess this depends on when you have breakfast....

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    No presenters or pundits will feature on Saturday's Match of the Day programme, a BBC spokesperson says.

Saturday's Match of the Day programme will "focus on match action without studio presentation or punditry", they say.

Save a **** load of money if they did that every week...
    It would be a huge improvement, I've never enjoyed punditry, it's long crossed the line of repeating something that's worth a 2nd look or admiring someone's skills.
    If Adrian Chiles gets the job, I'll join the boycott!

Quote Originally Posted by SithHappens View Post
    Wright and Shearer have told the BBC they won't be on this weekend, good on ya.

It's a pity Ian Wright didn't show solidarity with the sacking of Phil Thompson and Matt le Tissier, etc. According to MLT, Sky said they were 'too old'. Naturally the colour of their skin didn't come into it. No one takes the knee for them.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNTERYY36 View Post
    It's a pity Ian Wright didn't show solidarity with the sacking of Phil Thompson and Matt le Tissier, etc. According to MLT, Sky said they were 'too old'. Naturally the colour of their skin didn't come into it. No one takes the knee for them.
    Maybe, the circumstances are a bit different though, broadcasters freshen up their line ups all the time, i think the uproar on this was caused because the likes of Alex Scott and Micah Richards came in and people saw it as an action to help them meet their diversity quota.

Personally i would rather listen to both scott and richards over thomson and le tissier but thats just my personal view. I like Lineker on MOTD, i have never been keen on Wright or Shearer, i find them both a bit boring.

I dont suppose le tissiers views helped him either though.

I guess in Linekers case where is the consistency? Make him step down because of an anti government tweet, yet they turn a blind eye to Alan Sugars continuous posting of political views over the years, whats the difference? Nothing to do with the fact that those in power at the BBC probably endorse Sugars views but dont endorse Linekers, surely not?

[QUOTE=Geoff Parkstone;40236755][QUOTE=ramAnag;40236739]
    On the current subject I actually think the beeb are wrong, opinions shared which are clearly made personally and are made on non-BBC platforms are fair go as far as I'm concerned

I guess this depends on when you have breakfast....
    Breakfast time?

Quote Originally Posted by SithHappens View Post

I guess in Linekers case where is the consistency? Make him step down because of an anti government tweet, yet they turn a blind eye to Alan Sugars continuous posting of political views over the years, whats the difference? Nothing to do with the fact that those in power at the BBC probably endorse Sugars views but dont endorse Linekers, surely not?
    There’s a difference in that GL is part of News and Current Affairs which I understand has different rules to pre-recorded game show stuff which AS hosts. Just my understanding

So, they announce they will be doing no post match interviews...

... a day after Managers and Players announce they won't be taking part in such interviews.

A tad late on that BBC.

Interesting looking on social media, the fb groups that I troll are overwhelmingly anti-Lineker and by the nature of them being football forums they don't have an inbuilt political bias. Quite a few (including one I moderate although I didn't do it) have now suspended discussion on the subject to align with their 'no politics' forum rules

There’s a difference in that GL is part of News and Current Affairs which I understand has different rules to pre-recorded game show stuff which AS hosts. Just my understanding
    Im sure thats the angle they will argue, my guess is had sugar published a picture of bojo next to hitler the outcome might have been different.

Of course ITV are a different broadcaster and not funded by the public purse so it is obviously different but what Gary Neville did using the football coverage itself as a platform to have a political rant was worse than what lineker did.

Interesting looking on social media, the fb groups that I troll are overwhelmingly anti-Lineker and by the nature of them being football forums they don't have an inbuilt political bias. Quite a few (including one I moderate although I didn't do it) have now suspended discussion on the subject to align with their 'no politics' forum rules
    You’ll not be surprised to hear I don’t understand that. For me we are first and foremost a football forum, but there’s a limit to how much half a dozen or so regulars can say regarding each Derby match. If people are inclined to extend their comments to topical issues...Brexit, Covid, Refugees, Music, political dishonesty etc then, providing it doesn’t degenerate into personal insults, surely that’s a good thing isn’t it?
    Lineker (and Neville) just happen to be good examples of a football and politics fusion.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 11-03-2023 at 10:38 AM.

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)