+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 120 of 148 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 1471

Thread: Close season transfer targets and possible departures...

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieNate View Post
    I’m fairly content with the squad at the moment. I’d like us to bring in a better RCB to play alongside Cameron and Baldwin but honestly I think it’s the extreme high line that needs looking at more than the personnel.
    As discussed on another thread, the high line yields benefits as well as risks. If we defend deeper, we won't be able to dominate possession in the same way. If we give up on that, we'll have to rethink the entire approach. I think the high line can still work well, but we need to strengthen our back line. I agree that a RCB is the priority.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I haven't heard anyone say this, but I also haven't heard the club say anything about strengthening, so who knows. We have been linked with Halifax's Jesse Debrah, but he's also been linked with a handful of other L2 and L1 clubs.
    Club never says anything they just get on it, really good early business but I think and the club probably thinks we need a RCB, Debrah sounds perfect.

Debrah would be the ideal candidate but his transfer to L1 Barnsley has been heavily reported as a "done deal" so looks like we'll miss out unfortunatly.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    As discussed on another thread, the high line yields benefits as well as risks. If we defend deeper, we won't be able to dominate possession in the same way. If we give up on that, we'll have to rethink the entire approach. I think the high line can still work well, but we need to strengthen our back line. I agree that a RCB is the priority.
    Wouldn’t want us to completely come away from what got us promoted last year but at times in my opinion we defended too high. Wrexham away comes to mind where our back line defended on the half way line. Watched that one on TV and it was only numerous bad offsite decisions that stopped Wrexham getting behind us easily. We are going to be playing better equipped opposition week in week out this year and I think it would be pretty naive of LW to believe we are going to enjoy as much dominance as last year. Still positive regardless and games such as the Stoke one will only help us learn how to deal against better opposition.

There is an added bonus of not defending so high. We forced teams to hit us on the break with a high ball, which in turn caused opposition teams to pack their own area and wait for the break. That stifled the space and service ML thrives on and dried him up almost completely (when we played the teams that had the ability to drop back under control (and similar to the way Haaland was neutered)). Open the field of play up and we will have space for ML to operate and play to his natural ability. People said he (ML) would struggle with the move up to the NL but the same space was still available for him. Couple that with better service and hey presto 40+ from open play. The real test for him will be seeing how he adapts to better coached and managed teams in L2.
    No matter what people say about the standard in L2 it will be a damn sight tougher than the NL. Notts/LW/The Bros Reedtz have built a fantastic spirit about the place, let's see it blossom!

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    Club never says anything they just get on it, really good early business but I think and the club probably thinks we need a RCB, Debrah sounds perfect.
    Quite rightly the club goes about its business quietly but as fans we don't have to. I really hope they are looking at defenders. Whilst I've been a critic of Cameron, he knocks spots of Brindley. No wonder he didn't figure much last year. I only saw the highlights from Saturday but for one goal he ran away from the player rather than towards him, allowing him time to progress into the box and score. He looks afraid to engage players. Nothing like the player of 2 seasons ago. Looks lazy and disinterested. Whilst Baldwin is OK when fit, his tenancy to be unavailable is a problem.
    I really believe we should strengthen here, overall what we have won't see us pushing for top 7. Too many mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by BJPIE View Post
    Whilst I've been a critic of Cameron, he knocks spots of Brindley. No wonder he didn't figure much last year. I only saw the highlights from Saturday but for one goal he ran away from the player rather than towards him, allowing him time to progress into the box and score. He looks afraid to engage players. Nothing like the player of 2 seasons ago. Looks lazy and disinterested.
    While I have concerns about Brindley, I can't agree with "lazy and disinterested". I see a player short of match fitness and low on confidence. I hope he sorts it, because at his best he is easily good enough for this division.

Brindley was injured most of last year, he's going to need a big part of pre season to be ready, it's why I'd like another centre back though, just to give him a bit more time

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    While I have concerns about Brindley, I can't agree with "lazy and disinterested". I see a player short of match fitness and low on confidence. I hope he sorts it, because at his best he is easily good enough for this division.
    I agree he can easily play this level. That said my view and only mine is I do think he plays within himself, I think he’s got another gear in him if not two and he does struggle ariely. We do need to bring in another and I agree with Bjpie that unfortunately Baldwin is out a bit but I do think he’s a class at when he’s fit.

We’ve got to remember that Brindley isn’t actually a RCB by trade. He largely got by fine in the NL but L2 is a different kettle of fish, can he perform well enough in that position at this level? I don’t know. Chicksen on the other hand was one of the few that came out with any credit against Stoke, such a classy player….especially at LB/LCB.

Page 120 of 148 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130 ... LastLast