+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Surely this EU proposal is the best of all worlds for the U.K.?

Surely this EU proposal is the best of all worlds for the U.K.?

This makes perfect sense for us. A pity they didn’t offer this arrangement to David Cameron.

https://apple.news/A6PgnYK2mRjiO8zZzU6LniA

But we’d still have to contribute to their budget? Which as you know people wanted that money staying here.

Quote Originally Posted by regis80 View Post
    But we’d still have to contribute to their budget? Which as you know people wanted that money staying here.
    It does seem to make sense but when you look at the voting 70% are [B]not in favour[/B] of this proposal. I wonder why that is?

I understand this may be good for business ie. making importing and exporting goods much simpler and quicker and for most it would make travel, whether for business or pleasure easier too.

The cost also seems to be more palatable than it was before. However, you pay for what you get and it might be, if I understand it correctly, the reason people are reluctant for the UK to take this route is simply that we would again be tied, at least to some degree to European legislation and would have no voting rights. We’d have the right to have input but not a right to vote.

Given the current state of the world, (a war in Europe and the cost of living scenario) for what it is worth, I would like to see the EU increase in size and for the UK to be part of that.

There is strength in numbers and right now I’d feel a lot happier if we were part of that number.

Quote Originally Posted by regis80 View Post
    I think that notion has been blown out of the water now to be totally honest.

Less than £500m at todays rates compared to £12b to be a full member previously is more palatable.

The £500 million is based on what Norway currently pays. With our much larger economy I guess we would be expected to pay a lot more which is fair enough. The devil is of course in the detail.

Btw back in 2016 I posted 1 of my reasons for leaving was I envisaged the EU breaking up into 2 divisions. The Premier League would be the original 6 plus a few of the more prosperous nations. The price would be far greater integration, 1 currency, 1 foreign policy,1 army,1 tax system, 1 set of laws and more. Couldn't see the UK ever going for that so we would be second division. Perhaps that was a harsh conclusion and second division didn't necessarily mean second rate.

Lets keep an open mind and see

PS. Still think there is a chance rather than integrate it will disintegrate. Lots of pressures coming on that I know will only get worse.
    Last edited by 9goals2hattricks3pen; 20-09-2023 at 06:30 PM.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)