+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread: ⚽ Match Thread vs. Mansfield Town FC 14.10.23 [EFL L2]

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Chicksen for one when fit, but LW has not picked him in recent games..
    I love chicks but I’m sorry he offers absolutely nothing going forward now. He scored some goals last year by mainly popping up cleverly at the back post to tap in crosses but as an attacking outlet down that wing I would say JJ is better at defending than chicks is attacking and that’s why he plays.
    I’m hoping Randall get fits and JJ plays more inside, I don’t think he’s a winger.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    I love chicks but I’m sorry he offers absolutely nothing going forward now. He scored some goals last year by mainly popping up cleverly at the back post to tap in crosses but as an attacking outlet down that wing I would say JJ is better at defending than chicks is attacking and that’s why he plays.
    Chicks rose the the challenge superbly last season, 11 goals was an epic haul. I also think he worked on his final ball and delivery (though beating a man is probably an adaptation too far).
    By the end of the season I think he was running on empty, physically and mentally, although he still performed the basics of the role. The biggest challenge for Chicks seems to be remembering that the attacking side is at least as important as the defensive. There will be cover behind, but there will never be cover ahead, he has to do it.
    I think we'll seem him again in this role soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Proactive not Reactive View Post
    I totally agree that we didn't bin half the squad in pre-season and bring 8 or 9 new players in but as said previous this will naturally evolve hopefully as we improve.
    Think it will be difficult to change the system at the moment as the personnel are recruited for the current system but if LW strongly felt that way we could play Brindley, Macari or TAR at right back and Cameron or Chicksen when fit at left back, Crowley and Jones wide with licence to come inside and Didsy in the 10 role.
    Personally at this stage I would keep it with the 3 and the WB's with Bostock and Palmer and the 3rd centre back primarily covering the W/B's and occasionally McGoldrick and Crowley - think this gives us greater control of the ball that LW and the Brothers seem to want.

The best way,l I think to become more solid and out more round pegs in round holes would be a 4-2-3-1.

It’s naive to think that the way we play is down to a back three system. Didn’t seem to affect Barcelona with a back four. It’s about personnel and proper tactics….and playing people in the right positions.

……………………...Stone

TAR……….Rawlo…………Cameron……Chicks

………………Palmer……..Bostock

…….Jones…..…….Didzy………….Crowley

……………….…….Macca

Still think Jones is better coming in from the right.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    The best way,l I think to become more solid and out more round pegs in round holes would be a 4-2-3-1.

It’s naive to think that the way we play is down to a back three system. Didn’t seem to affect Barcelona with a back four. It’s about personnel and proper tactics….and playing people in the right positions.

……………………...Stone

TAR……….Rawlo…………Cameron……Chicks

………………Palmer……..Bostock

…….Jones…..…….Didzy………….Crowley

……………….…….Macca

Still think Jones is better coming in from the right.

What formation and players would you ply if Cameron and chicks were still inured ? After all that is what caused the problem against the stags !

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    What formation and players would you ply if Cameron and chicks were still inured ? After all that is what caused the problem against the stags !
    I disagree, Cameron missing v Stags had nothing to do with that performance….I dare say Cameron’s replacement played better than Cameron would’ve done.

Chicksen missing is a big defensive blow imo. He’s the only one who can see and read the game, maybe Brindley too, in our back line. I actually met him after the game, he was very subdued and when I asked when he would be back he just said a time frame hasn’t been set on it yet….has there even been any word on his ‘injury’?

The rest of the back line is clearly an increasing worry. I don’t know who I’d pick, none of them fill me with confidence….but going to a more orthodox defensive system may suit their abilities a bit better whilst we strengthen in the mean time, and perhaps stop conceding so many goals!

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    I disagree, Cameron missing v Stags had nothing to do with that performance….I dare say Cameron’s replacement played better than Cameron would’ve done.

Chicksen missing is a big defensive blow imo. He’s the only one who can see and read the game, maybe Brindley too, in our back line. I actually met him after the game, he was very subdued and when I asked when he would be back he just said a time frame hasn’t been set on it yet….has there even been any word on his ‘injury’?

The rest of the back line is clearly an increasing worry. I don’t know who I’d pick, none of them fill me with confidence….but going to a more orthodox defensive system may suit their abilities a bit better whilst we strengthen in the mean time, and perhaps stop conceding so many goals!
    Completely disagree , it was the whole reason why we were so poor. As we were denied the option off playing out down the left hand side it made it easy for Mansfield to press and contain us. Defensively Rawlinson was ok but his distribution was poor especially in the 2nd half. We lacked to ability to go out wide so when they pressed it was easy to box us in. This is why Slocombe kept getting the ball and having to boot it forward to there massive centre backs. I think you completely miss the role and ability in Cameron's game that makes him a necessity in our defence down the left hand side with the style of play we employ.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    Completely disagree , it was the whole reason why we were so poor. As we were denied the option off playing out down the left hand side it made it easy for Mansfield to press and contain us. Defensively Rawlinson was ok but his distribution was poor especially in the 2nd half. We lacked to ability to go out wide so when they pressed it was easy to box us in. This is why Slocombe kept getting the ball and having to boot it forward to there massive centre backs. I think you completely miss the role and ability in Cameron's game that makes him a necessity in our defence down the left hand side with the style of play we employ.
    We didn’t lose 4-1 because we couldn’t pass out of the back. We lost because our defence was a bag of nails and gave away at least two, probably three, really soft goals….Cameron’s defensive ‘prowess’ would have only made it worse. If I’m being kind I’ll submit and say if Cameron had’ve played we may have lost 6-3 instead!

Cameron does some great work on the left bringing the ball out often looking more like a left back, OK he's got a mistake, but so did Bostock, losing the ball that cost us the equaliser, does that mean we should bin him ?

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233