+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Was LW overrated

Valid OP and a good reply from Jackal.

He did incredibly well in bringing together a team and getting them to play a lovely brand of football. Do I think he could do it at L2 level with the same players? No, and we were starting to see it ourselves. Perhaps LW also knew that without having a say in recruitment he felt he couldn’t take us any further?

He’s not overrated though. He’s got the accolades and question marks against his name that his performance warrants. A very engaging man though, I’ll miss his honest post match interviews and general talk about anything football.

[QUOTE=Piessince67;4042,forest fans who cant afford to go[/QUOTE]

I'm getting really sick and tired of this myth constantly being spouted on here.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dug Out View Post
    Anyone that abuses an opinion is wrong, I think LW would have got us to at least Division1 in the next 2 years at the most. He was/is a good manager and a decent bloke, pretty rare in todays society.
    Low down in my opinion. Leaving right on the transfer window. Shows how disrespectful he is towards Notts and fans.

I think the entertaining high goal scoring play glossed over the lack of tactical ability to know how to defend. The fact we've lost 10 games shows that it was a case of I don't care if the opposition score 4 we'll get 5. It's just not sustainable to keep you in the running. I enjoyed the 18 months but we needed the change so maybe he jumped before he was pushed.

Paul Cox ,ex player of ours brought stags back but whatever happened to him?I just have this feeling that LW did the job but?

Quote Originally Posted by Piessince67 View Post
    Ok i fully expect a pile of abuse but i am going to suggest he was not the messiah people think he was.Great he got us promoted but lets be honest we used up 10 years good luck in the play offs.He had some great players at that level.IB developed Ruben ,our recruitment team signed Macca etc.Yes hugely entertaining football but our crowds this season are down to a combination of post covid,forest fans who cant afford to go,post play off euphoria.I regularly go to away games and the weaknesses have not been addressed.Ok perhaps the players are not good enough but there is a general lack of organisation.I am not that upset about him going i think there will be another guy out there who will kick us on.Our success in the last 18 months is primarily down to the owners ,the recruitment team and the level of professionalism in place.LW was good but not great.
    He got way more out of players than Burchnall who did the bare minimum expected of him. He effortlessly coped with losing Wootton and Cal Roberts who were two of our best players and leading scorers.
    This season at a higher level he's had to cope with losing Scott and Rodrigues, another thirty goal loss and managed it, keeping us in the play-off positions all season.
    We've played great football at times and had a great ride along the way.
    Despite our attacking football we actually had a pretty tight defence last season. This season, especially away from home we have defended badly and looked brittle. But, and it's a huge but, losing Matty Palmer and being given a substandard goalkeeper as replacement for Slocombe were obstacles that you can't just coach away. He needed some stronger players this window to maintain a challenge.

The next man in will need these new players too or he'll fail under weight of expectation. Big shoes to fill, I hope the Radar are on top of their game.

Quote Originally Posted by Piessince67 View Post
    Ok i fully expect a pile of abuse but i am going to suggest he was not the messiah people think he was.
    No abuse, but I don't agree. I can only copy and paste what I've posted before:

Luke Williams was in charge for 72 league games, and in those 72 games we scored 172 goals and conceded 89, while amassing 149 points.

Luke Williams wasn't overrated, he did a brilliant job for us.

Quote Originally Posted by optipez View Post
    He got way more out of players than Burchnall who did the bare minimum expected of him. He effortlessly coped with losing Wootton and Cal Roberts who were two of our best players and leading scorers.
    This season at a higher level he's had to cope with losing Scott and Rodrigues, another thirty goal loss and managed it, keeping us in the play-off positions all season.
    We've played great football at times and had a great ride along the way.
    Despite our attacking football we actually had a pretty tight defence last season. This season, especially away from home we have defended badly and looked brittle. But, and it's a huge but, losing Matty Palmer and being given a substandard goalkeeper as replacement for Slocombe were obstacles that you can't just coach away. He needed some stronger players this window to maintain a challenge.

The next man in will need these new players too or he'll fail under weight of expectation. Big shoes to fill, I hope the Radar are on top of their game.
    Thing is, LW didn't have to cope with losing Wooton and Roberts, he got those replaced with better before he came through the door. Sure he lost RR (and Scott through injury) but he also gained McGoldrick and Crowley who, I think are arguably better but in different ways. The recruitment team have seemingly always come good when replacing lost gems.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post

Luke Williams was in charge for 72 league games, and in those 72 games we scored 172 goals and conceded 89, while amassing 149 points.

It might be that once the new person's been in charge for a few weeks then we realise that Williams was under rated.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post

Lots of goals sure, but against who exactly? Also lots conceded!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast