+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: 📝Stuart Maynard appointed

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Is that to me? The players? In general? Let's try to...er....remember

What I was asking was misunderstood yesterday. It was nothing to do with the relationship between playing and coaching skills. Everybody knows it's a separate skill set. My questions are very specific ones about players' perceptions and reactions.

Another example my mind goes to is an interview with Ruben in the middle of last season when he said he was working on skills stuff with Harley, who in RR's words 'was a top player' (well done to LW and RH on selling that one ) I think the fact that RH had Championship experience with a team now in the Prem carried weight with the players and lends credibility to coaches in footballing circles.
    In such a competitive, hierarchical professional environment, I feel that players are conscious of such stuff.

Burchnall had Ross with him because of one thing - credibility. Of course he didn't need his coaching, but as they came as a pair IB appropriated some of MR's Scotland and Rangers credentials. After that, he 'needed' Doyle. Same story, credibility for the coaching team, and probably nothing at all to do with coaching. Likewise LW and Harley. Could LW and Lawtey coach without RH? Of course. Maybe RH is a superb coach. But they could probably do it all without him. Better with him though, as it lends credibility to the whole coaching team. The further LW succeeds the less he will need this.

Our new team have to make up for some of this (lack of EFL background/achievements) with strong and clear communication, sound footballing judgment, great interpersonal skills and motivation - in short, great coaching. Let's hope they can. We believe so because the Bros RM, JP and whoever else have chosen them. Good enough for me, even with the Qs I'm asking.
    Yeah I was replying to you, just because I felt it was being forgotten that he is an actual football manager and will have more experience of dealing with footballers than all of us put together on here.

He has been somewhat successful so I presume he has some emotional intelligence and leadership skills and he's not gonna go in there full David Brent and start giving it the biggun about the Wealdstone method.

I also don't know if our players would be like that about a manager's credentials - they may be but there don't seem to be many big egos in our team. They will probably give him the benefit of the doubt until they figure out if he knows what he's doing, which I'm sure he does.

I don't know if assistant managers are there just for credibility. I would have said that assistant managers are chosen to be able to dish out *******ings that are not really in the skillset of mild mannered people like Burchnall or to some extent LW. But that's a whole other story!

You really are obsessed with me being a new member and having a London connection aren’t you? Not sure why the hostility but then a clue is in your handle - very dated and time to move on and get into the 21st century? For the record I was born and bred in Nottingham and lived here for the first half of my life before moving south. I also don’t own any Burberry, Gucci etc as you say on a later post. in addition to doing some research into football maybe you also need to spend a bit of time looking into the inclusivity agenda? Anyway, there’s lots of posters on here making really insightful comments and that’s where I will spend my time going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    Would we not have to compensate BT?
    Even if they tried to sue us I reckon we could reverse the charges.
    Last edited by lunaspie; 19-01-2024 at 06:45 PM.

Unless SM turns out to be an absolute clod (which he doesn't look or sound) the players will give him 100% (I am sure). Both players and manager are there for a common purpose...to win football matches. It's not Dallas or Dynasty, it's Notts County Football Club!

Quote Originally Posted by lunaspie View Post
    If they tried to sue us I reckon we could reverse the charges.
    Just press button B.

Question is Smiffy, can he get a tune out of the defence with the existing players at his disposal or will we need to buy? I’m obviously assuming he will be playing the same shape/system as Mr Williams

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    Depends on how big their substantial is? Is it bigger than our substantial fee from Swansea.?
    I wouldnt think he would be on much more than 25k per year, owing to the fact that he is only part time and has a day job as well.. His assistants would be on a much lower wage. So, i would expect the whole package to be around 75k...

Quote Originally Posted by Putney Pie View Post
    Question is Smiffy, can he get a tune out of the defence with the existing players at his disposal or will we need to buy? I’m obviously assuming he will be playing the same shape/system as Mr Williams
    Everything I have seen or heard about him suggests he is a LW clone (in the nicest possible way) the only shift from the LW script I have heard was on his first interview (on this post I think) where he mentions "possession without conceding". I can't remember LW specifically mentioning that as part of his game plan (he mentioned it towards the end but only as post-match regret). As for the current defence, I think there are a few broken strings that need replacing before a retune can be carried out.

Agreed. I think we missed out big time when Mansfield got Aden Flint at the start of the season. He marshals their defence superbly and is just the sort of player we are lacking

Quote Originally Posted by Putney Pie View Post
    Buy buy buy ha ha!

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast