+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Driving re tests for 65 years and older?

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    I agree with over 65s being retested...I know of one guy in his 80s who could barely see yet had a valid driving licence!

I also agree the under 25s should have a bit more regulation. Maybe a black box to check speed?

Totally irresponsible to drive if you know you have vision problems. At my annual eye test, I specifically ask if it's safe to continue driving. Not too much of a problem for me when I eventually stop, as there's plenty of public transport and Uber locally, but would most likely find it extremely if I lived in a rural area.

For those currently under 25, they can look forward to insurance companies insisting on a black box installation to monitor not only driving habits, but the vehicles' safety features before being able to start the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindenbaggie View Post
    Totally irresponsible to drive if you know you have vision problems. At my annual eye test, I specifically ask if it's safe to continue driving. Not too much of a problem for me when I eventually stop, as there's plenty of public transport and Uber locally, but would most likely find it extremely if I lived in a rural area.

For those currently under 25, they can look forward to insurance companies insisting on a black box installation to monitor not only driving habits, but the vehicles' safety features before being able to start the engine.
    I guess the whole point of this post really is about irresponsible drivers, whether you're aging and have vision problems, or your under 25 trying to impress friends by speeding.

Seems to me the one's with the highest risk are at the two ends of the age categories to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    I guess the whole point of this post really is about irresponsible drivers, whether you're aging and have vision problems, or your under 25 trying to impress friends by speeding.

Seems to me the one's with the highest risk are at the two ends of the age categories to drive.
    The perfect sum up. Maybe 75 would make more sense.

A complete re test for the elderly is too punitive.

I think a 15 minute competency test every 5 years after 75 is probably a fairer idea, it’s easy enough to tell if someone is competent without putting them through a formal check.

It’s also a good way of checking someone’s eyesight and to pick up if someone is showing signs of being vague and confused with the obvious worries that dementia might be taking hold.

I do wonder how many of the idiot lowlife
    on our roads manage to pass the theory test?

It beggars belief that many of these people could pass such a test.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    A complete re test for the elderly is too punitive.

I think a 15 minute competency test every 5 years after 75 is probably a fairer idea, it’s easy enough to tell if someone is competent without putting them through a formal check.

It’s also a good way of checking someone’s eyesight and to pick up if someone is showing signs of being vague and confused with the obvious worries that dementia might be taking hold.

I do wonder how many of the idiot lowlife
    on our roads manage to pass the theory test?

It beggars belief that many of these people could pass such a test.
    Spot on. Doesn’t need a full test. Just competency.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    Spot on. Doesn’t need a full test. Just competency.
    I think so mate.

One minute in the car with my late father in law from 80 onwards was enough to let you know he had dementia.

To get to the local shops half a mile away, a journey he’d made for nearly 30 years, mother in law had to sit be him and tell him to make the two right turnings required, she also had to flick the indicator up and down for him!😳

He also had macular degeneration in one eye, he was blind.

Mother in law was as bad as him in supporting him, they both said he “had a right to drive” for as long as he wanted to……it caused us a lot of argument and aggro with them over it.

My wife and her sister twice visited his GP to get him to him stopped from driving, he wouldn’t do anything!

It’s incredibly hard to get an old unfit person stopped from driving in the U.K.

I think so mate.

One minute in the car with my late father in law from 80 onwards was enough to let you know he had dementia.

To get to the local shops half a mile away, a journey he’d made for nearly 30 years, mother in law had to sit be him and tell him to make the two right turnings required, she also had to flick the indicator up and down for him!😳

He also had macular degeneration in one eye, he was blind.

Mother in law was as bad as him in supporting him, they both said he “had a right to drive” for as long as he wanted to……it caused us a lot of argument and aggro with them over it.

My wife and her sister twice visited his GP to get him to him stopped from driving, he wouldn’t do anything!

It’s incredibly hard to get an old unfit person stopped from driving in the U.K.
    Terrifying. Reminded me for a moment when I was a passenger to my cerebral palsy friend who was driving really fast down the motorway in a blizzard who then switched the lights off instead of putting his wipers on. Scared? Just a little 😳

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    Terrifying. Reminded me for a moment when I was a passenger to my cerebral palsy friend who was driving really fast down the motorway in a blizzard who then switched the lights off instead of putting his wipers on. Scared? Just a little 😳
    I shouldn’t laugh mate……but,

the vision of you alongside a bloke with cerebral palsy with no headlights on and windscreen wipers going like the clappers has made me laugh!🤣🤣🤣

Been on two speeding awareness courses in the last 10 years and the majority of those on it shocked me - mostly over 50’s

I shouldn’t laugh mate……but,

the vision of you alongside a bloke with cerebral palsy with no headlights on and windscreen wipers going like the clappers has made me laugh!🤣🤣🤣
    Makes me laugh now Mick but then, sheeeeesh!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)