+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: O/T:- Great PR

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Not so long ago I defended McClean's right not to wear a poppy if he didn't want to, because that's free speech and expression, even though I have a different view. The problem here is that this isn't an intelligent and carefully considered expression of opinion, it's just two lads being tw*ts. They obviously didn't have the confidence to stand by their 'opinion' for long, judging by the deletion of the tweets.
    With regard to the Poppy issue, surely there’s something in the League rules that’s says all 10 outfield players take the field in identical tops? If there isn’t there should be. That would solve that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsetts_Pie View Post
    With regard to the Poppy issue, surely there’s something in the League rules that’s says all 10 outfield players take the field in identical tops? If there isn’t there should be. That would solve that problem.
    I think that was the problem, in essence. The league decreed, or at least issued guidance, that the club kits should carry the poppy, but McClean refused to wear one. I don't really have an issue with that, because the people remembered by the poppy were fighting to defend individual freedom as much as anything else, so permitting him not to wear the poppy is itself an endorsement of that freedom.

Let's not credit McClean and Mullin with more intelligence and principle than they're due though. In this case, what we're dealing with is a couple of overpaid prats whose only brains are in their feet. If there is a blow to be struck for republicanism or revolution, you wouldn't pick those two idiots to advance the cause!
    Last edited by jackal2; 06-05-2024 at 03:57 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12