+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a squad for the Premiership

Quote Originally Posted by arab1970 View Post
    Middleton will be a complete disaster in the prem, so predictable and if he's up against a decent RB......

5th place finish, League Cup and Scottish Cup in a single season with St J would suggest otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Those young lads won't be on big money (and I doubt McMann is) so I'd say no, that's not the reason.
    Thing is, i didnt mention big money, but can you be 100% sure that the regime in place before Goodwin came in has not spanked out good money on players like McMann, and gave over the odds for the next generation? Last season we are reported to have trimmed £2.6m off the wage bill with some big wage players being moved on, so are we still in that kind of mindset, but with players on lower wages?

Louis Moult scored 38 goals in 84 games for Motherwell in the top flight so my opinion is he'll be just fine, so long as he stays fit. Yes I'd love us to sign a top quality striker to keep competition for places at a premium but do not agree with some of the opinions on here. Middleton has looked unplayable at times,although needs to be more consistent as well. Agree a striker coach would be invaluable though. Louis Moult looks like he loves playing for united too, I want players here that love playing for us, we've had plenty that didn't give a f*ck.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    5th place finish, League Cup and Scottish Cup in a single season with St J would suggest otherwise.
    Middleton is one dimensional, he has been decent for us this season, but anyone watching Utd this season can see that, he goes outside his full back, but can't go inside, and doesn't have a trick, he isn't slow, but isn't blinding fast either. Not writing him off, think he can be a decent squad player, he has put in some great deliveries this season, but better standard of full back going to make that one tactic/trick less potent. I think Goodwin should have moved him about a bit more at times this season, you can see his finishes against Alkmaar, Queens Park and Morton he can cut in on his left and put a decent finish.

There isn't one Utd player I'd be worried about losing, I would like to see a few more moved on, depending on what is coming in of course. I know it's about consolidating this season, but how many of the current crop are top 6 players? It's not like in the past when you feared losing a GMS, Gauld, Armstrong, Russell, Goodwillie etc... Courts, and Mellon to a lesser extent, of course proved you don't need the best players to make a team better than the sum of its parts.

Need real competition for places next season. There are a number of our current players who should be able to cut it in the Premiership. The problem though would be if they are being chosen every game regardless of form.
    Too many times in recent seasons have looked through the squad thinking only one or two subs could actually come on and influence the game and that's maybe being generous.
    At the moment the only players I'd be very confident in being automatic first picks if fit are Sibbald and Docherty.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutherland Arab View Post
    Need real competition for places next season. There are a number of our current players who should be able to cut it in the Premiership. The problem though would be if they are being chosen every game regardless of form.
    Too many times in recent seasons have looked through the squad thinking only one or two subs could actually come on and influence the game and that's maybe being generous.
    At the moment the only players I'd be very confident in being automatic first picks if fit are Sibbald and Docherty.
    I agree that Sibbald should be a first pick, and i know he has triggered an extension, but he is not as yet signed on the dotted line for now. For me, Holt, Graham and Moult are also starters that we are still waiting on.

Don't know if Docherty ,Gallagher, Moult could stand up to the rigours of the top league we need some big muscular guys who won't be bullied like we were in Dunfermline game.

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    Thing is, i didnt mention big money, but can you be 100% sure that the regime in place before Goodwin came in has not spanked out good money on players like McMann, and gave over the odds for the next generation? Last season we are reported to have trimmed £2.6m off the wage bill with some big wage players being moved on, so are we still in that kind of mindset, but with players on lower wages?
    The non-footballing depts of the club are still being asked to work with Championship budgets, so we are definitely trying to cut costs still. Whether the young guys are being let go because of that though, I'm not so sure. Surely they wouldn't be on that much money. They're just not good enough imo.

First rumour, Regan Charles-Cook

The younger lads are at an age now where if they ain't holding down a first team place, especially in the Championship, then they're not going to at Premiership level so it's an open and close thanks very much and all the best

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)